Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents:

Just came in to my first 1917. I've had the S&W version for some time, and as we know the crane SN matches the butt SN on those, but with the Colt version the factory chose to use the regular New Service SN range inside the yoke and crane, but the US Army decided to put their own "SN" on the but of the gun. In my case, in the past someone attempted to "civilianize" this nice old warhorse and plugged the lanyard ring, and filed off the butt markings altogether!

I know there are databases that will give you the delivery date of the gun IF you have this butt number, but I'm wondering (as this gun is a candidate for restoration - it will need to have the barrel replaced too - bulge) is there some way to retrieve this butt SN by comparison to the factory SN? BTW, this was a later produced model in 1920 with the steps inside the cylinder to use without moon clips if you so desired - extraction was iffy if you did that.

Also, the three digit "parts"number stamped on the gun (inside the yoke / crane / under barrel is 239), was this part of the military SN??? (first three digits, last three digits, no relation at all to the butt SN?).

Thanks!

Max

·
Registered
11,782 Posts
Doesn't sound like anything you would want to put money into a restoration. The 239 number you mention sounds like it had been through a previous rebuild with the major parts numbered in order to get them back together after finishing.

The military required that the serial number start with 1 and go forward, and Colt chose to continue their serial number sequence in the New Service serial number range under the crane. There is no way to determine the military serial number from the Colt serial number any closer than several hundred numbers.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The military required that the serial number start with 1 and go forward, and Colt chose to continue their serial number sequence in the New Service serial number range under the crane. There is no way to determine the military serial number from the Colt serial number any closer than several hundred numbers.
Who applied the military number and "US ARMY MODEL 1917?"

Did that happen at Springfield Armory after they received them? I guess that would make sense since the S&Ws got the same treatment. I always assumed the manufacturer applied that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.