Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across this piece yesterday and am considering a purchase just to make a shooter out of. The owner is a 92 year old gentleman who claims this was his carry weapon as an intel officer during WWII. He is convinced this is a Colt 1918 frame (as a serial lookup confirms if it is actually real) and an Ithaca slide. He says he does not remember the gun ever having another slide. His memory is not quite there and he doesnt remember a refinish but I think it is fairly obvious that a refinish has occurred. I did not break the gun down but the only markings present are those shown and a "13" on the right side trigger guard. So, any information is appreciated. Sorry for the pictures but it is tough to get a clear shot of serial which is c​229885

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
Pictures aren't that great, but I believe what I am seeing is a late WWII Colt receiver with an Ithaca slide. The entire pistol has been buffed hard and blued, and the serial number appears to be bogus. The bogus serial number now on the pistol would be a Colt Government Model from 1947. It wasn't unusual for GI's to remove identifying marks from pistols they illegally brought home. The bogus serial number puts it in the illegal to own category.

The left hand side has the remnants of G.H.D which are the initials of Brig. Gen. Guy H. Drewry who was in charge of inspection and acceptance for the Springfield Ordnance District.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Yup...as JohnnyP relays above.

I have found more often than not, that old people ( even though I like them in theory!) are very poor at remembering decades-passed things with any accuracy, and or have had even more time than everyone else, to habituate themselves into 'creative' memories ( especially if wishing to impress someone, or, sell something 'old' or to pull one over on someone younger! or all three..!).

I would not touch that Pistol with a proverbial 'Ten Foot Pole'.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
The phony Serial Number, and, also, showing very little sign of much Carry since the brutal re-blue - are both major 'Warning Signs' that all is not as it should be!

Even if this IS how he bought it say, from someone in 1939 or 1941 or something ( and, I doubt it is, so...)

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
Gen. Drewry did not assume command of the Springfield Ordnance District until June of 1942, and the large vertical GHD was not used until late 1943 or early 1944 production.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, guess Ill take pass on this one!

Yeahhh, I would too...( 'pass' )

It has too many serious problems, and the Serial Number issue in itself could prove inconvenient if it were ever questioned on your way to the Range or something in a Traffic Stop, or, if you were ever wanting to sell it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts