Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did Colt make a 1991A1 in .22 lr from the factory or would it just be one with a conversion kit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'd know if Colt did a 1991A1 in .22LR, I'd be the first in line to get one! No, unfortunately Colt never produced such an animal. It would be great if they did.

They did reintroduce the .22 conversion in the 90's called the Ace II; the main difference between it and the original conversion kit was the slide was aluminum.

I resort to shooting my .22 Conversion on a Series 80 frame for inexpensive practice with an ol' slabsides.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, follow up: I saw an Argentine Colt in .22lr. These were made by Colt for the Argentine guberment right? Anyone have one? What is the going price? Does anyone know for sure if the .22lr ones count as Curio and Relics by the BATFE?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
OK, follow up: I saw an Argentine Colt in .22lr. These were made by Colt for the Argentine guberment right? Anyone have one? What is the going price? Does anyone know for sure if the .22lr ones count as Curio and Relics by the BATFE?

Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I snagged one of the Argentine model 1927 "Ace" 22's imported by Southern Ohio Guns, approx 10 years ago. It was as new condition, but I think all of them had been arsenal refinished at the time of the conversion. Since they were built from the 1927 model guns, at least some, if not all, should qualify as curio and relic. I think I paid a little over 200 at the time, but have since seen them for prices ranging from 400 to nearly a thousand, so the true market price, if there is such a thing anymore, is probably somewhere in the middle. The low s/n original 1927 guns, below s/n 10000, are double in value, but I'm not sure how this would apply to one converted to the "Ace" model.
Here's a link to the BATF C&R site if you want to wade through their list.
http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/relics/curio.pdf

·
Registered
117 Posts
A 1991? No.

Colt did put out the Service Model Ace for while pre and post war. Based on the 1911-A1, they ran on the SM prefix to the SN and are out there if you look.

Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts