Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a "Colt 1st Generation hammer" on eBay. It looked OK in the advertisement and the price was lower than getting an original hammer rebuilt. It fit my 1st Generation Colt perfectly and worked very well. Unfortunately, I soon discovered that the hammer spur was noticeably thicker than a Colt-made hammer. Although it was advertised as being an original Colt SAA hammer, I now suspect it is likely an Italian copy. Sometimes the difference is so slight that its hard to tell if something is original or a copy. Buyer beware!

View attachment 430001 View attachment 430009 View attachment 430017 View attachment 430025

Rusty Edwards
Historical Firearms Swords Sabers Bayonets Guns

Colt 1st Generation Peacemaker & Frontier Six Shooter Serial Number List
http://www.swshana.com/gun_website/Colt_SAA_SNs.pdf

·
Registered
91 Posts
Reading this post brings back memories of my younger days. In the mid to late '60's the old timer I'd dealt with for years had gone into semi retirement and wanted to winter in Florida. As I'd recently started a little business of my own and had an FFL and was working full time as a local Firefighter with a split shift I was asked if'n I'd be interested in running his business on a part time basis from November to April. As a youngster I jumped at the chance, not realizing at the time just how much was involved. One of the greatest learning experiences of my life. I did this for about 6 years. Any how, this old gent had been a dealer since before WW II and had acquired much in his years. As he was getting along, I was told to clean out some of his stockpiled cache as the time allowed. To shorten the story, this fellow was a Colt SSA and Luger fan. He was noted for converting Pre War Colts SAA to 22 Hornet and other obsolete at "the time" calibers to the more available ones, some using the Christy firing pin or the latest style hammer and recoil plate. The main reason for this post, in this clutter I found countless Colt SAA pre war barrels, cylinders, hammers and other parts. I inquired about the disposition of the parts and was told I could have them for One Dollar apiece. You'd not believe what was in there. I sold everything in that pile for a Dollar a piece profit. Fast draw was at its height a few years before. You could buy a Pre War for little money. Long after he was gone, I acquired one of my many at the time Pre Wars that needed a rebuild and the only parts available were Christy's. I got a barrel, cylinder, hammer and other internal parts that were as sub standard as the Italian junk at the time. Those dollar a piece profits at the time woke me up. Just trying today to say, "know what you are buying". By the way, the "old gents" name was Earle Cushman. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
What you have is a reproduction hammer that was pressure cast by an unknown firm for a guy in Texas named Montgomery. He fooled around with SA's in the 80's and sold them as original, cheating many individuals. I bought a lot of parts from his widow. You'll notice the retaining pin is in the wrong place. There are probably quite a few of these floating around today in various states of finishing. This one wasn't finished out enough and hence the thick spur. But, a thick spur is not a sign of a repro. I have an original 1926 production SA sheriff's model that has a thick spur very similar to this one, but completely original. Always check for the retaining pin location and the size of the pin as compared to other original hammers.

jp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts