Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Who can shed some light on this box. Very difficult to tell in the picture but you can see a cut line where the 2 1/2" part of the label was carefully cut out and is/was overlayed on a 4" original label. the box measures that of a 4" barreled revolver so most probably a 4". Box ware and box look to be period. SN on the bottom of the box dates to 1922 #253876. Colt PP short barrel history shows custom hack sawed PP's and special order requests to Colt for short barreled guns led Colt to develop a 2" Special PP around 1927 which then became the DS. RIA auctioned a 2 1/2" .32 on a .38 frame revolver in 2013, that gun was made in 1933. So Colt did a lot of things, but every thing I read says the 2 1/2" PP was only made in .32. So what is the opinion, Special Ordered 2 1/2" .38 Police Positive Special, so they do exist or ?, short of Lettering a box..... Thanks, Andy

Attachments

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
That is curious!!

Box does say "Police Positive Special", but one would not expect to see a Box end Label for that Barrel Length, and certainly not at that time.

Maybe some outfit or retailer ordered enough of 2 ~ 1/2 inchers for Colt to out the add on part of the Label on to the Boxes?

If for a one off 'Special Order', maybe they would have also? I do not know.

Regardless of how or why, it sure is fun to see this example!

How neat!!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I can't even begin to pretend I know the answer, Colt's website says 1922 Police Positive Special and Detective Special. Since DS wasn't in existance that leaves PPS. Seems logical (to me) it could have been a custom order?

Are you curious enough to "letter" a box? :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts