Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this while browsing through a gun book. I remember this gun as trying to mimic the angles associated with shooting a revolver. I know it is discontinued. Does anyone know anymore about this?
What is one worth today? is it worth owning?Do they live up to the Colt name?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
The Colt All American 2000 was a major disaster for Colt and a big contribution to the bankruptcy of the company.

The original design was by Reed Knight, who sold the design and some tooling to Colt. Colt intended it to be their entry into the "Wonder Nine" wars, and the police auto market.

The design used a polymer frame, a sliding trigger with a striker firing system, and a rather unique rotating barrel locking system.

In practice the gun was a dismal failure. The gun was plagued by problems of unreliability and inaccuracy. Attempts to fix the problems failed, and after a couple of years of production, the gun was discontinued, and the tooling and design was returned to Knight, and oblivion.

Quickly thereafter, Colt dumped the guns onto the market to dispose of them. At one time, they were being sold for under $200.00 by wholesalers.

Today, the All American 2000 is getting a little collector interest, due to the low production numbers, and brief period of manufacture.

As a collectible, they may be a good buy at the right price, but buying one as a shooter would likely be a mistake, due to the chronic inaccuracy, and lack of reliability.

The All American 2000 may go down in history as the only Colt pistol that was a complete and total failure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts