Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here and have enjoyed reading the posts so I decided to join in.

With that said I recently acquired a colt 22 ACE service model complete slide installed on a 1944 Remington rand frame. Originally thought I was buying an Ace conversion unit installed on the RR frame but in my web search the slide was clearly marked service model with no reference to being a conversion slide. Both are nicely parkerized same tone with the frame having all the appropriate inspection stamps.

Curious if the arsenal had ever built any training 22's on available frames? Or do I most likely have a nice gunsmith built 22. Does seem a bit odd though that someone would disassemble a service model to put it on a Remington frame when they would have the same pistol leaving the SM as is.

Has anyone seen this mix before?

Thanks,

Leggett

·
Registered
10,480 Posts
The Arsenal didn't build complete training pistols - they provided conversion units as Training Aids, and did so until the M9 was issued, and they provided various commercially-built .22 autos, as well.

Yours sounds more like someone had a conversion unit he'd installed on a frame, and the .45 upper got separated.

·
Registered
12,294 Posts
There are a lot of the Service Model Ace uppers available which apparently came from de-milled SMA's. In years past I have seen just the back half of the upper being sold for the intact sight.

You are correct that it is not a conversion unit. This is another SMA upper that came with a complete Remington Rand. Always thought I would find a SMA lower and put it back together, but no such luck. On this one the finish is Parko-Lubrite, and was not sandblasted before finish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JohnnyP,

Your slide looks identical to the one on my RR frame only mine is finished in a greenish park. Seriously considering finding a complete correct RR slide to install on the frame, but haven't made the plunge yet. Have yet to take it to the range, curious how it shoots.

Thanks for the replies always nice to hear from the experts.

Will post some pics when I figure out this new laptop with windows 8.

Leggett

·
Registered
12,294 Posts
Parko-Lubrite was a phosphate finish similar to "Parkerizing" but with a finer grain. Both were products of the Parker Rustproof Co., and the Parker is where the term "Parkerizing" came from. The finish on the SMA upper show is original. If refinished they show the effects of sandblasting to remove the old finish.

Look under the firing pin stop plate on your slide to see if there is a serial number. The slides were serial numbered to the receiver of the SMA until the SM3800 serial number range, as well as being blue instead of phosphate finish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.