1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
The pic's are too small to even make out what vintage. Is it a pre-war or post war?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
If complete and in good shape, I'd probably go $500.00 on it. All I can tell from the photos is, it's the older style with vertical serrations and early sights.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
well very hard to tell any detail from the pics....hey try post image and use hotlink to forums...u can get very nice and clear pics ....

Reactions: krag96 and ei8ht

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry about the picture quality. I "liberated" those from the auction site. There is no description except "Colt 1911 22 Conversion Kit."
From what I can see, there appears to be one magazine and looks complete to my untrained eye.

Here is the link...maybe the pictures will show up better.
https://www.texasbid.com/auction/15/item/587

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
From the markings it would appear to be a post war 22 conversion. It appears to be complete. It's late enough that it has the stamped ejector rather than the milled type. It's got a lot of wear and rub marks. There appear to be small pits on the top of the slide toward the front and the marks on the side toward the rear could also be pits. I don't think I would want to invest a lot in a unit like this.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
There are a few on Simpson LTD. If a shooter is all you want, they have a new style complete with box, very nice for $550.00. Check Gun Broker also, there's a bunch right now.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys!
I looked at a few on GB and various places. Seems like the going rate is +/- $500 for one in better shape.
I may toss in a bid or two just to see how badly someone wants it.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Thanks guys!
I looked at a few on GB and various places. Seems like the going rate is +/- $500 for one in better shape.
I may toss in a bid or two just to see how badly someone wants it.
On that one, I would bid $425.00 tops, (just because I like the older style with vertical serrations and the old "Accro" sight). Who knows, you just might win.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree w/dogface6 about the slide stop. If it is #2, $500.00 is about right. For me, $350 is tops w/un-stamped slide stop. Hen's teeth are easier to find! Bob M.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
I agree w/dogface6 about the slide stop. If it is #2, $500.00 is about right. For me, $350 is tops w/un-stamped slide stop. Hen's teeth are easier to find! Bob M.
I bought my Conversion Unit off of Gun Broker for $400. It was an early post War Unit like this one, no box. Mine did not have a number 2 and the one with it mic'ed as a .45 and looked GI.

And as you posted that Number 2 slide stop is almost as rare as Sasquatch sightings. I looked on eBay and they were going for anywhere between a $120 & $175 so I settled on a number 3 after trying an EGW ACE slide stop. Well for some reason there were some number 2 slide stops listed and the bids didn't go crazy, as I bid on one and did a BIN and ended up with two, so I kept the nicer one and relisted the other and got my money back out of it.

So if the slide stop is not the right one that reduces the value by at least $100.00 imo.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
When did COLT start shipping the C.U. with a # 2 slide stop?

When did COLT start shipping the C.U. with a # 2 slide stop? Did a quick check of the neighborhood and came up with a few pictures. (BTW, there is a member that might be able to be more definitive.?)

A couple pics of two different sizes of # 2,---there may be others.?

The COLT C.U. is a minty (still in the shipping sleeve) 1948 - 49 unit that looks correct. Has a Colt Master sight, A217 AL 8-48 instructions, and a # 2 marked SS (last picture).

Did examine a late 1946 unit, un-numbered, with a Stevens sight, that also has a # 2 SS. (It was well used,---not sure of that SS?)

(Maybe that member will check the units from 1945-46 to around 1950 and educate us.?)

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
On a lot of Colt 22 magazines having the correct #2 slide stop is a moot point because the hold open ledge on the pot metal follower gets worn down to the point that it won't hold open regardless or whether or not you have the correct stop. I have also found that there is quite a bit of variation in the measurements of slide stops that are even nominally the same.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
On a lot of Colt 22 magazines having the correct #2 slide stop is a moot point because the hold open ledge on the pot metal follower gets worn down to the point that it won't hold open regardless or whether or not you have the correct stop. I have also found that there is quite a bit of variation in the measurements of slide stops that are even nominally the same.
Never use the slide stop on a Conversion Unit to depress the follower and release the slide. I did that with my Service Model ACE, plastic follower, and sheared off the shelf. I ended up installing a screw and cut half the head off, works great. I have also repaired an older style Conversion magazine doing the same thing, only now I use an aluminum screw. Yes the pot metal (Zamak?) followers do have a tendency to get peened down over the years.

When I had my SM ACE, the reintroduction version I compared that number 2 slide stop with the number 3 in my Series 70 .38 Super and I couldn't tell any difference, but the number two has less bevel on the end of the lug.

·
Registered
185 Posts
According to Kuhnhausen (Colt .45 Auto shop manual), #1 - all .45 cal. models, #2 - Ace .22 and .22 CUs and used on NM .38 special, #3 - All 9mm and .38 Super models, #4 - 10mm model.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts