Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colt .22 Officer\'s Model Target grip style & DOM

Can anyone tell me the correct style grips that a .22 LR Officer's Model should wear? The s/n is 163xx. Is this about 1937 DOM??? Thanks! Bob Best

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Re: Colt .22 Officer\'s Model Target grip style & DOM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone tell me the correct style grips that a .22 LR Officer's Model should wear? The s/n is 163xx. Is this about 1937 DOM??? Thanks! Bob Best

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob, you hit the nail on the head, it's 1937. Afraid I can't help you on the stocks, I don't have one old enough to compare. The "dfariswheel" will probably tell you soon.
It sounds like a nice piece that I wished I had.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Re: Colt .22 Officer\'s Model Target grip style & D

All I can offer is from TBOCF. Yes, 163xx would be 1937. For the OMT (32 and 38) the grip info says checkered and varnished walnut through 1911, from circa 1912 through circa 1923 checkered and varnished with Colt medallion inlays, and from circa 1923 the coverage of checkering increased to border above the Colt medallions. Since the 22s commenced in 1930, it would seem they would be the latter described, which I presume are the same as the "older" Python and Trooper with "full" checkering. Corrections welcome. HTH :cool:
BTW, TBOCF for OMT 22LRs simply says checkered walnut grips with the Colt medallion insert were standard until circa 1949 when the plastic Coltwood was introduced. So again, I presume....

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
Re: Colt .22 Officer\'s Model Target grip style & D

The correct grips would be checkered walnut with Silver medallions.

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts

I would expand on what DFW said. You need Pre-War checkered walnut stocks with the stamped silver medallions and the small nickel-plated screw that goes in recessed nickel escutcheons in both stock panels. Do not be misled by a Post-War set of stocks that have the proper-appearing medallions (If you look carefully, you will see they are cast and not stamped.) and have the large-head blue screw with no escutcheon on the screw head side, and a slightly crowned blue escutcheon on the other side.

Any of the I-frame guns from the Pre-War era will be correct, so you have the very large pool of Official Police doner guns, which helps make such stocks much easier to find than some other model stocks.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

There were ALSO "optional",extra cost factory stocks(wood,I am talking about) that were in several different checkering patterns-and if original,will be numbered to gun,of course. Most of these are shown in the BOCFA.

Target revolvers tended to have a much wider range of "added options" by buyers-as one would expect!

Bud

·
Registered
576 Posts

Here's Bob's 22 OMT we've been discussing:

Here is a close-up of the stocks/grips on my 22 OMT DOB 1939. I think they are correct:

And here is a close-up of Bob's OMT stocks/grip:

Not as high rez, but good enough. Does anyone see a difference between mine and his other than in the finish?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Hi,

I would like to thank you all for answering my questions... also a Big Thank You to Onomea for posting the photos in this thread and also in the OMT 7 1/2 inch barrel thread. I apologize for the delay in posting this ... my computer had a serious mal-function and I have been in the process of replacing hardware and doing some major program software reloading. I think I have the worst of it finished now except for the 300+ emails waiting in my in-basket... Yikes! Anyway, THANK YOU ALL and I hope you all have a Great Holiday Weekend! Bob Best

·
Registered
576 Posts

Bob, you're welcome. So what did you conclude on the grips? Your pic is a little low rez, but maybe there is something going on with the screwhole that looks different from mine? Did you note JudgeColt's details, per quote below?

[ QUOTE ]
You need Pre-War checkered walnut stocks with the stamped silver medallions and the small nickel-plated screw that goes in recessed nickel escutcheons in both stock panels. Do not be misled by a Post-War set of stocks that have the proper-appearing medallions (If you look carefully, you will see they are cast and not stamped.) and have the large-head blue screw with no escutcheon on the screw head side, and a slightly crowned blue escutcheon on the other side.

[/ QUOTE ]

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Hi Onomea,
I think my grips are the same as yours... they match the Judge's description and they have the "three holes" in the back over the medallions, so think they are correct. (Not serial numbered though) The finish is what I'm not sure about. I have not seen any that have this high of a gloss to them. I think someone "fancied them up" a little... I just wasn't sure if they were originals for this model or if someone "substituted" them. I just bought this gun a few days ago as a shooter... (I like .22s) I don't collect the .22 variations of this frame size and it's pretty close to the upper end of the pre-wars... so my knowledge is quite limited on them. I have a number of earlier OMTs and they all seem to have the fancy checked stocks. I was not sure if this one should be wearing the fancier style or not. Thanks again for posting my photos and for all the GREAT information! Enjoy your holiday! Bob Best

·
Banned
1,129 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
I have a number of earlier OMTs and they all seem to have the fancy checked stocks. I was not sure if this one should be wearing the fancier style or not. Bob Best

[/ QUOTE ] most pre 1926 officers mod. i have seen have the fancy checkered wood stocks. standard production stocks on most if not all colt commercial revolvers were hard rubber till around 1926 when most went to wood stocks. these{post 26} are in the style simular to yours in the photo. after the switch to wood stocks the officers mod and other e-frames all got the same fully checkered medallion stocks.i am sure yours are the original type as it has the stamped medallions and the estc. in the left stock as is correct for prewar.i am also sure the finnish on them is not factory as you suspect.

·
Registered
576 Posts

I haven't tried this myself but I hear that a good way to refinish old grips is to pop them in some acetone overnight, or even, less. They come out a good deal lighter in color, I understand, so maybe you'd want to put a little stain on 'em before some tru oil or tung oil or the like. Should be pretty easy, I should think. That's what I'd do, were they mine. Don't leave 'em too long (days, I s'pose) or they'll come out like cork, I am told. This won't work on polyurethane, but I think yours are just a high gloss varnish.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Hi icdux1, & Onomea,
Thanks for the information! I agree about the finish, after a closer inspection under high power magnification, I see that there are traces of varnish that were disturbed on the metal gromet and screw when I removed the grip panels. I know Colt didn't do that! Appreciate the tip on how to remove the varnish too... Thanks Guys! Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts