Colt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of buying a 2nd Gen NF in 357 and I plan on shooting it. It was made in 1967 and the previous owner never fired it. I appreciate that he kept it
almost new looking, although the box is a bit beat up. A little online searching puts it at most produced version, 7 1/2 and 357. I want to shoot it, but before I do
I'd like to confirm that it's just a shooter and not something that should be left untouched.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
shoot away. who are you going to save it for? shoot it and clean it. enjoy. i don't think colt NF have much of a collector following. if it was mine i shoot it.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I'll vote to shoot, it's not an unusual nor pristine NIB example and if you had to wait on appreciation of capital expenditure it'll be some time before you could make a decent profit, IMHO.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
It's not unfired - the factory already took care of that little detail - so if you buy it, use it for what it was made for, and shoot it.

New Frontiers aren't as collectable as Single Action Armys - at most gun shows, they'll still be on the table after the SAA's have been bought - so enjoy it, and clean it and enjoy it some more.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION is both : you collected it to shoot it. I've noted this before here but let me repeat myself. There is a dead giveaway that is was meant to be shot: there is a firing pin in the hammer and it has a rifled barrel.
As far as rareity is concerned, in 2011 I was given by a total stranger[ to me..a long story best told by Boge Quinn] what is thought to be the second rarest COLT SA sixgun in existance, a COLT NEW FRONTIER 5 1/2" 38SPL from 1962, and never fired. We took care of that little problem in no time flat and now it has thousands of rounds through it, the most accurate COLT 38SPL sixgun I've ever fired by a factor of about 1000%, and that is no exageration, guys. BY the way, the rarest COLT SA is the same gun with a 7 1/2" barrel with four[4] sold here in the U.S.OF A. SIX were shipped overseas with one coming back to be re-barreled to a 4 3/4". I guess I got a bit off track here....huh...
And so it goes..

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
The 2nd Generation New Frontier has just never had the appeal of the 2nd Generation Single Action Army. However, it should be noted that the 2nd Generation NF has a total production of slightly over 4000. It was produced in 4 calibers and 3 barrel lengths. As WT notes above, the .38 Special chambered versions are rare. Every 2nd Generation NF that I have looked at was very well fitted and finished. Given the low production numbers, there doesn't seem to be much collector interest in them. Perhaps someday collectors will realize how scarce these guns are.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
nitroexpress
Welcome to the forum.
I agree with those who suggest shooting it. You've said you really want to so I'd do it. The most enjoyment a person can get out of a firearm, I feel, is using it.
I'd use it, & enjoy it.
Just out of curiosity, what permits are you having to wait on?
Good shooting.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I shoot every firearm I own, Antique 1816 Harpers Ferry to Modern ARs and everthing in between.

If I cannot shoot it and use it for its intended purpose I just as well look at pictures of Firearms all day..

Shoot it and have FUN..Thats what it was made for...

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Colt New Frontiers in any caliber aren't worth a hoot, and the .357 Magnum the least accurate of all ammunition. For a small fee I'll take the gun off your hands!

Bob Wright

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I had a python owner refuse to sell me a pistol once after I told him I planned on shooting it. If you have the itch, scratch it. Guns were made to be shot, imho (no offense to those who don't)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had a python owner refuse to sell me a pistol once after I told him I planned on shooting it. If you have the itch, scratch it. Guns were made to be shot, imho (no offense to those who don't)
My sentiments exactly, spending that kind of coin just to look at, makes no sense to me. It was really unfired, gummed up with factory grease. The cylinder pin just about refused to come out. Cleaned it up, shot it, cleaned it up again. That Colt bluing makes clean-up a snap. I have a Sauer 80 in 30-06 and it is amazing, when I'm out hunting, so many hunter will say to me, "if they owned such a nice rifle I would never take it hunting. Sure it's nice, that's why I bought it, to hunt with. When I bought the Colt NF, I thanked the salesman for not telling me that if I fired it, that would ruin the value.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Firing an unfired specimen will decrease the value. A gun is only NIB once.I enjoy shooting. I also enjoy the beauty of an unfired collectible gun. I can see both sides.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Weg;e. I respect that BUT I hav never had a NIB gun. They were all factory fired that I know of so I will never be the "first" to fire it. I do like looking at well preserved pieces, but the ones that sing songs are the ones that could tell whopper stories if they could talk. I love a pistol with character :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.