Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A shop here has a Colt 2nd gen 1851 Navy, silver plated, cased, fully engraved, with US NAVY in large letters on the right side of the barrel and 21 of 100 on back strap. Asking $500. Anyone familiar with these?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Somewhat familiar. There were four commemoratives made by the American Historical Foundation in the 1982/84 time frame from C series 2nd Generation Colt's. They were the US Army, US Navy, US Marine Cops, and US Air Force commemoratives. I have the Army and Navy Commemoratives and looking to get the other two.

I've got the Brochure for the Navy I can email to you.

$500 is a steal.

·
Premium Member
20,690 Posts
The American Historical Society and a couple other companies in Richmond, VA area has built many special edition guns over the years. Some are very well done and some are pretty cheesy. A person needs to carefully evaluate the quality of the work on these guns when planning to buy one.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The American Historical Society and a couple other companies in Richmond, VA area has built many special edition guns over the years. Some are very well done and some are pretty cheesy. A person needs to carefully evaluate the quality of the work on these guns when planning to buy one.
These are definitely not cheesy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,690 Posts
Fingers, That is nice looking hand engraving. Many of the special edition guns had the cheesy acid etched engraving. I often speak with the gunsmith for American Historical and he tells me that some of the hand engraving on the higher priced special editions was done by the well known master engraver, David Perdue. David did that work when he had more free time, years ago. Nowadays, it is usually a 2-year wait to get any engraving done by him.

·
Registered
575 Posts
SaintClair, according to the brochure, the series was engraved by an engraver that formerly worked at the Colt Custom shop and stamped his mark on the side of the backstrap. I haven't taken mine down to check.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Here they are.

As you can see, each has a different combination of gold and silver plating.

The Army and USMC models were the first ones to be issued in 1984. Followed by the Navy and Air Force in 1986.

Depending on condition, $500 is a great price to pay for one these (since the case by itself will run you $150+). The original price from the American Historical Foundation was $1995. I acquired these over several years (with the USMC version being the most difficult to find) for around $700 to $1295 per set.

1851 Navy (F1100 A)-SN 28073 (73)-01.JPG 1851 Navy (USMC)-SN 28112 (53)-01.JPG 1851 Navy (Navy)-SN 23265 (53)-01.JPG 1851 Navy (F1100 AF)-SN 27083 (73)-03.JPG

Note: with respect to FingersMcGee, these models were intended to be from 2nd generation "F" series manufacture, not "C" series. But......then again, Colt allows for anomalies - for example, I have two Navy models of this series, one has serial number 28083 ("F" series) and the other has serial number 23265 ("C" series). More than likely, to fill the order for 400 guns to the American Historical Foundation for this military tribute series, some "C" series models were shipped from inventory.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Agreed, they were intended to be from the F series. The Army and Navy I have are both C Series (22777 and 22964). No telling how many from each series were actually produced.

Still looking for the Air Force and Marine ones to add to the collection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts