Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi- I am completely new to this site and I have a question for all of you guys out there. I am trying to find some information on the Colt .32 Police positive Special and I hope y'all can break it into the basics for me. I don't want to sound naive, but I admit I am with this gun. Let me know if anyone can help me.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Colt Girl, I suspect that the .32 Police Positive Special,is one built after 1947,or so. Colt did away with the Police Positive model,and included the .32 New Police(which is also called .32 S&W Long) .38 New Police(which is also called .38 S&W) on the longer cylindered /framed Police Positive Special model. Sadly,they dropped the 32/20 chambering that Muley Gil mentioned.

I once taught a co-worker to fire a 32/20 P.P. Special,after her husband walked out,and she felt the need for protection. The gun had been her grandads,and within 200 rds.,and a grip adapter,added,she'd become proficent enough to hit a #10 size can consistently at 30 feet,fairly rapid fire.

Recoil, in a .32 is not as much of a problem,as in a .38 Special,and a .32 S&W long,will not have even as much "kick" as the 32/20 I mentioned-BUT-it won't have as much kick out the other end,to stop an attacker.

In a strong,well made revolver like a Colt,it is possible to "hop up",a .32 by handloading(or by rechambering to.32 Magnum,which has been done),to give it more "stopping power",but there are "legal issues",if used in a shooting,that I won't get into here.

So,you are probably better off than with a .22 for power,and there is plenty of factory .32 S&W Long ammo out there for your gun. Bud

·
Registered
2 Posts
I definitely appreciate all of the information Bud, but I still have one more question, is there some type of site that I can go to that can tell me about loading and unloading this type of gun- and you were right on that style and year-. It may sound odd, but I am a college student working with this gun and I need to have something I can print out to bring to my class for proof on the ejection of colt revolver carteridge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts