Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an old colt 357(1959), if i wanted to could i put a python barrel on that action, and if so does anyone know someone that has done it before and has pictures.

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
Unless someone is good with welding to build up where the barrel meets the frame it will look like crap. There's no good reason to do this as the Three Fifty Seven is still the same action. Why ruin a perfectly good revolver as it will still be a fake Python.

Your money...your choice.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
My thoughts exactly
Vic

Reactions: MarkInTx

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Unless someone is good with welding to build up where the barrel meets the frame it will look like crap. There's no good reason to do this as the Three Fifty Seven is still the same action. Why ruin a perfectly good revolver as it will still be a fake Python.

Your money...your choice.
Ditto what everybody else says.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
It would be a shame to ruin a 357
Better to sell it and buy a python if that is what u desire
God Bless,John
Stay safe out there

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,734 Posts
Back in the late 60's due to the Vietnam war the Python was just about unavailable but barrels were, so some custom gunsmiths began making "Troop-On's" or "Pooper's" by heli-arc welding up the top strap of the still available Trooper model, tuning the action, installing a Python barrel, and giving it a high polish Colt type Royal Blue.
These are out there and some people think they own a Python when they actually have a modified Trooper.
I would guess that a few 357 Models were also converted.

This could be done today by a top pistolsmith/welder but the cost would be high.
The 357 is beginning to gain collectors and shooters interest as-is so I wound not ruin a fine older Colt this way.

Just as a guess, the cost of a Python barrel, the price of having a genuine expert pistolsmith to do the conversion and the cost of a Python level blue job would probably put you up in a range that you could sell the 357 and fund a good shooter Python.

This is one of those things that "can" be done be really shouldn't be done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts