Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Colt .357 \"Collectible\"(6-inch barrel?)lightly fired?

Would a Colt model .357(6-inch barrel)still be collectible, being all original(But, lightly fired!)with Colt target grips(With box but, no papers!)? How collectible?

What should a Colt .357, as described above, be currently priced at, in your region?

Which would be the best choice(To pick?)as the better, of the two following guns, for the purpose of collecting it(And,why?)?:

1)The above described, Colt model .357(6-inch barrel? Or...........

2)A NIB, Colt Trooper Mark III(4-inch barrel)in .357 caliber(With box and papers!)and is as "Pristine" as the day Colt built this gun(No cylinder ring, perfect bluing, perfect target grips, "Unfired"!)?

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 01-15-2005).]

·
Registered
711 Posts
Re: Colt .357 \"Collectible\"(6-inch barrel?)lightly fired?

Great questions! I'll answer the last one because it's the only one I think I can answer well.

I would say the Three Fifty Seven is the more collectable mainly because there seem to be fewer available on the market. It seems to me that Trooper Mk IIIs are just about the most commonly encountered Colt revolver out there.

Also I think the Three Fifty Seven was a higher grade gun than the the contemporary Troopers were, the Mk IIIs were duty guns plain and simple (especially in Lawman form).

Just my 2¢, more knowledgable Colteers are sure to give some more insight...

·
Registered
66 Posts

For collecting purpose the trooper would make a lot beter choice. Since both guns are relatively new by colt historical stadards. Any time you have a new in box gun it will maintain a higher resale value expect in extreme cases.

·
Registered
66 Posts

For collecting purpose the trooper would make a lot beter choice. Since both guns are relatively new by colt historical stadards. Any time you have a new in box gun it will maintain a higher resale value expect in extreme cases.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts

This one is a tough question.
On one hand you have a NIB discontinued gun with the box and all the papers.

On the other, there were only around 15,000 357 Models made by Colt.

The 357 was a premium gun, almost as well fitted as the Python, but not with the Python's super blued finish.

The Trooper Mark III is much more common, and doesn't have the interest that the old Colt action revolvers have, BUT it's a new in the box gun, and the number of NIB guns declines each year as people buy them and shoot them.

Best option would be to buy one, and put the other in long-term lay-away, or borrow the money to buy it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Regarding the Colt ".357"(6-inch barrel):

1)How much will being lightly fired(Enough to show some light burn rings on cylinder face)hurt the collectibility of this somewhat "Rare" gun?

2)The bluing is like new(except for having the typical Colt aged look(Not worn!)), there is only a very light(Trace)of a cylinder ring(So light, that it is hard to see it!)and, the gun locks up tight and, is not loose, in any way!

3)Since these Colt .357's were mostly overlooked(Because they were just thought to be a Colt Trooper!)is there much chance, that these guns, will rise in value to any reasonable extent, in few years? Will collector's go for these guns(Or, just continue to pass these up?)?

4)The grips on the Colt .357(6-incher)in question, has older Colt target grips on it-and, were these guns ever offered with target grips(I mean, is it possible, that these could be original to the gun?)? These are not the very early target grips(As they look more like a 1960's-1970's Python grips!)?

5)Based upon the description of this Colt .357(6-incher!)what would be the maximum(Reasonable)price that should be paid for this gun, to be in line with what it should presently be worth?

6)Since I can only afford one of these guns right now, which would be the best choice to get first(The NIB, Colt Trooper-or, the Colt .357(6-incher)? This is a real hard choice for me! I need some help? Decisions, Decisions???

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 01-16-2005).]

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

Buy the 357 as not many of them were ever made. You will see plenty of examples of MkIIIs to choose from.
As to the pricing, the 357 is still one of Colt's best kept secrets. Pricing usually runs just above the Trooper. Because of the Python I think the 357 may never reach the status that it deserves (which means we can get them reasonably). $500 (or just a little more) seems to get you any 357 that I have seen recently in great shape.
From what I found out (I needed a set of grips for mine) the stocks were the Targets with full checkering and silver medalions.

BTW.. is the 357 fully polished or a two tone model?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Majic:

1)The thing that I like about the Colt Mark III, is that it is so "Pristine" new looking! I have never seen one this nice(But, I am looking at this from a "Collectibility" standpoint)and, if this gun, isn't very good as a "Collectible", then, I'd probably have to pass on buying it! But, I do like my guns to be "Mint"!

2)I didn't look closely at the Colt 357! Only through the gun case! However, you brought up a good point(About the 2-tone finish!)? As you already know, I have an "Engraved" Colt 357(4-incher)! It was made in 1960 and the finish is not 2-toned!

3)I will check this (6-inch)Colt 357 next week, to verify whether or not it has the 2-tone finish, and, I'll report this, back here?

4)The target grips on this Colt 357, are not the early(Full checkered grips!)as they are styled like the Colt Python grips that came out after this style of target grips(Meaning, not fully checkered-with a round hump on each side of the grip medallions!)! Do you know, if these(Later design!)target grips, were also available on the Colt 357(Or, would these grips be "Unoriginal"?)? Thanks!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts

The early 1950's 357 had the two-tone finish and your choice of target hammer and the early fully checkered target grips, OR the smaller service grips and standard hammer.

USUALLY you'd have target grips and hammer, or service grips and hammer, but some people did order guns with service hammer and target grips, or target hammer and service grips.
Again, whatever the customer wanted.

Later in the 50's the finish was changed to fully polished blue, and later still the grips were changed to the later style target grips.

Here's a picture of the later "Second type" Colt target grips that would be appropriate for a later production 357.
Note the top of the checkered pattern wraps around the medallion.

The 357 medallion would normally be silver on a 357, although it MIGHT have left the factory with gold.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Just from my memory, the grips on the Colt .357 in question, the grips look like the grips shown in your picture. I'm not sure if the humps around the medallion, are the same-or, if they are more rounded or, if they go up a little higher, also? I'll need to check this out again?

Thank you, for posting the picture of the target grips!

·
Premium Member
9,480 Posts

The Mark III Colts are kind of the ugly child of Colt revolvers. They have never received much respect, although they are good, servicable revolvers. I do not think the NIB status of the Mark III will overcome the rarity and importance of the "357" as the first Post-War Colt chambered in .357 Magnum. Buy the "357."

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

Ditto on buying the ".357". You will not see too many. I admit to having a dislike for the post '69 Mk. IIIs,having owned 2 that both were poor representatives of the Colt name. I just passed on a mint 5" nickle Mk.III O.Police,for Under $250! Someday,and I wont be around,these may well be "collectors",but for now I will look for the pre 1969 "old style Colts",E's I's and N. Services as shooters. Bud

1 - 12 of 12 Posts