Colt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colt 357:

1)Which of you forum members have ever owned, the Model, Colt 357(And, liked it)?

2)Among your various Colt revolvers, was the Colt 357, one of your favorite's-or, not?

3)If you had ever given up your Colt 357-would you have wanted to find another one, to buy?

4)Do Colt "Collector's' still find the Colt 357, "Popular" today(Or, do they "Shun" this gun?)?

·
Registered
535 Posts
1. Yup. I have one. I like it - BUT it does have some problems. (Double action is not sure and cartridges hang up if you elevate the muzzle of the gun while cocking the piece.) It ranks right along with an original Trooper and an Officer's Model Match I USED to own. (Sad to say.) I had a WWI .45 auto, too, that would outshoot any of them! 3. I didn't actively seek it out - I just came across it at a dealer. I don't think there's a big camp following these guns. Among Colt people, I suspcion the P gun gets all the gravy!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've got one also, and it will shoot at least as well as my OMM and other brand target 38 Spl. with the same ammunition. I think rcwambold is right about the "P" revolvers getting the limelight, the 357 certainly doesn't have the "cool" look of the vent ribbed clan. Still, Colt made a whole lot fewer 357's than the "P".

Scott

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Although, the Colt Python, is one "Beautiful" revolver-I can't still help, but like the early Colt 357? I think, that after all of these years(Being used to seeing, Colt Pythons!)that the Colt 357(Especially, in a four-inch barrel!)is one, really nice looking(Classic)revolver! I think that people, have just been "Blinded" by the "Magnificent" Python, and, just never paid any attention, to the "Sleeper" Colt 357? If I had one of these guns, I'd want to "Collect" it(But, if I should want to shoot one-I certainly, would not shoot anything but .38's in it)! I had never seen a Colt 357 before-but, upon running accross one of these, I sorta, fell in love with it's "Classic" looks? I have always liked unique things anyway(Even if they were "Obsolete")?

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 03-30-2004).]

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I've been looking for a nice one , but no such luck. I have shot one and it was sweet. I think it is the sleeper of all the Colts, but like the others said it's son stole the show with eye appeal.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I gotta take a different picture of this gun before the regular viewers lynch me, but anyway, I like it very much. I considered grinding off part of the front grip strap for some Farrant grips I picked up, but upon reflection decided to buy an OP to keep this .357 just as it came. It's fun to shoot, although at heart I'm a S&W guy. I'd like to find a 6" one at a decent price.

·
Registered
99 Posts
One sweet-shooting gun! As nice as any Python I've used, and as smooth and accurate as any S&W Reg Mag. I don't know why it's NOT more collectable, but I guess we should count our blessings that you can still find one (occasionally) at a reasonable price.

This one came with the works: brochures, target, tools, box, and of course, target hammer and stocks.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just bought my four-inch barred, Colt 357, today! It didn't have a box(Or, tools)but, it is in NIB, condition-and, it has been beautifully engraved!

I need a DOB, for my Colt 357(As I don't have, any Colt reference books)? The serial number of my gun, is: #231XX.

If I could get someone, to post some pictures of my Colt 357, here, on this forum, I will take some pictures(After my 10 day waiting period, is up)and will send them to whomever, will do this for me, to enable me, to show this fine gun?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I have a 6" "357" that is probably too nice to shoot,but I do rarely.I traded it even for a 3 year old S&W M-586.way back in 1987. I picked up a 4" about a dozen years ago.3 digit serial # and with Colt Dual Tone Blue,instead of the all over blue like the later 6 ". This is a great carry gun,and previous owner had put a King cockeyed hammer on it. I posted quite a bit earlier,why I feel that the "357" never became as popular as the S&W M-19 Combat Masterpiece. The "357s" are true sleepers. Nearly picked up a third one several months ago,that was badly pitted & missing a lot of finish for under $200,but when I found out that prior owner had committed suicide with it in the woods,and was not discovered for 2 weeks(the cause of the pitting etc.) I said "no thanks". Bud

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
1960 should be it.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT HANG ONTO ONE GUN,
JUST IN CASE!

·
Registered
535 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bullet Bob:
[ I'd like to find a 6" one at a decent price.
Well, Mr. BB, would you be interested in a trade?
[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Administrator
7,327 Posts
I presently have a 6" 357 . Is it one of my favorites ? Not really . Do I like it and enjoy shooting it ? You bet ! I did sell the 4" I had years ago . Didn't take me long to miss it . It took me several years to replace it with this 6" . I think shun may be a little harsh , but the vent rib "P" is sexy to some .
(sorry for the bad lighting)

[This message has been edited by guy sajer (edited 04-02-2004).]

·
Registered
99 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colt38:
I just bought my four-inch barred, Colt 357, today! It didn't have a box(Or, tools)but, it is in NIB, condition-and, it has been beautifully engraved!

I need a DOB, for my Colt 357(As I don't have, any Colt reference books)? The serial number of my gun, is: #231XX.

If I could get someone, to post some pictures of my Colt 357, here, on this forum, I will take some pictures(After my 10 day waiting period, is up)and will send them to whomever, will do this for me, to enable me, to show this fine gun?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

E-mail the pix to me and I'd be happy to post them.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Michael Stern:

Thank you(Very much)for your "Generous" offer, to post the pictures of my "Engraved" Colt 357, for me! I will email these to you, as soon as I have them available(After my 10 day waiting period, is up)!

·
Registered
99 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colt38:
Michael Stern:

Thank you(Very much)for your "Generous" offer, to post the pictures of my "Engraved" Colt 357, for me! I will email these to you, as soon as I have them available(After my 10 day waiting period, is up)!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I look forward to it! (No 10-day waiting period to post the pictures
)

·
Registered
48 Posts
revolvers wear out, automatics generally dont shoot as well, , in close quarters if a bad buy grabs your cylinder it wont rotate,autos can jam all on thier own,but reload faster, the python is the best looking revolver ever made, smith and wesson are cheaper, and just as good... small hands have trouble handeling a revolver in double action properly, that is why ive settled for a 1969 gold cup i bought new back then.. fantastic gun.. i also have a 6 inch python i gave my dad and will probably get it back one day.very nice gun...had a knickel plated cambat magnum, very nice gun.shot unbeliveably well... i think trigger pull and creep , and sights are way underrated in the pistol talk.. without them you dont have much.. triggers on new guns today are terrible.most gunsmiths wont doo a good job on them.. so any good reliable 357 with good sights, accurate, and good trigger are as good as gold to any seasoned shooter if he can afford it.. .. good luck dave.

·
Registered
48 Posts
correction, i think the .45 auto i have is a national match 1967-69, the gold cup came out later.. dont let those revolvers pile up until you have one of these guys, definitly a serious defence weapon and a pleasure to shoot and own.. .. unmodified ones are rare.. most of them have been accurized, resighted etc etc.. i never did mine becouse i couldnt afford it.. now ive got a classic.. the match has adjustable trigger back stop, and a load ramp that will feed a tube of lipstick or nail if you can get it in the clip.. the .45 target loads dont have a protruding shoulder and they load on the edge of the case.. they hardly ever jam.. you just have to keep the oil fresh so it doesnt gum up.. a problem revolvers dont seem to have. dave..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just stumbled across your forum. I currently own a 6" Colt 357, Serial 186xx, also numbered PGC 177 on butt (Pennsylvania Game Commission) with wide spur hammer and target stocks. I sent this one back to Colt in the late 70's for a factory tune and reblue. I'll post a picture as soon as I can figure out how it works on this forum.

[This message has been edited by Herb (edited 04-08-2004).]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts