Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, Gents. Glad to be aboard. My pet Colt of the moment is a ".357." I'm told it was made in '57. It's exactly like the older model Trooper - pre-Mark IV and V. It has a 6" barrel is in very nice shape. It'll take Python grips and the stocks and trigger shoe and old Pachmayer- pre Tyler T grip fits, too. (Borrowed from a 20's vintage Official Police.) I'd like to know more about these guns. I've only ever seen two! The one I have an a 4" version at a gun show some years ago. Like some others on this site, I really like the OMM Colt's and Pythons and would like to make that the hub of my modest collection. Thoughts? Info?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts
The Colt 357 was one of Colt's first totally new post-war guns.
It was introduced in 1954, and was a "first in a number of ways.

It was the world's first mid-frame .357 Magnum gun. Before it, all .357's were large frame models like the Colt New Service or S&W's "N" frame models. It would be years before S&W would respond with their Model 19.

It was the first modern revolver to use a frame-mounted firing pin.

It was the first appearance of Colt's now famous target hammer and target stocks.

Available in 4" or 6" barrels, and choice of bright blue, or bright nickel, it also was available with "service" type hammer and stocks.

Colt made about 15,000 between 1954 and 1961.

As soon as Colt introduced the 357, budget minded shooters and police departments asked for a less expensive version, and Colt responded with the Trooper models.

The early Trooper's were available in .38 Special and .22LR. The early .38 model used the standard hammer-mounted firing pin of the Officer's Model and Official Police.

In 1954 Colt introduced the Python and things got complicated at Colt's. They were making a Trooper and 357 line that were very similar, and the Python.

Shooters wanting a budget adjustable sighted service revolver were buying the Trooper, and people wanting the best bought the Python.

This left the 357 as "odd man out", and since sales were flat, Colt discontinued the 357 in 1961. The Trooper line was modified by changing it to the same frame-mounted firing pin design the 357 and Python used, and offered in a .357 Magnum chambering.

At this point the Trooper was available in .357, .38 Special, and .22LR, although the .22 still used the hammer-mounted firing pin.

The 357 is a good "sleeper" gun for Colt-aholics, since most people assume it's just a Trooper and pass over it.

Until the Python "Super Gun" was brought out, the 357 was to be Colt's premium top-of-the-line revolver. Quality of fit, finish, and bluing is very high , and the guns are sought ofter by smart Colt people.

It's not unusual to find 357's that have had both the target stocks, and occasionally the target hammer "robbed" for other guns.

All in all, one of Colt's very best efforts, and an excellent gun to own by anyone's standards.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Welcome rcwambold to thr forum, and thanks for your new posts, we need more Colt-aholics!

Thanks dfariswheel for the very insightful comments on the Colt 357, I always learn something from you and enjoy your seeming font of knowledge.

Three months ago this forum was all but dead on arrival, but with the help of you guys, it is slowly coming back to life, so we all need to keep up the postings and flow of info. We need a place for Colts!
Dick

·
Registered
600 Posts
DFaris: Another informed post from you. Thanks for the history on the .357. I just added the .357 to the ever growing list of Colts I would like to own someday. Charlie

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts
What toasters me, is that the 357 is one of the few Colt's I was never able to buy, and one I wanted badly.

By the time the internet was up and running, and 357's started showing up, I was retired, and broke.

The bottom line advice is: When you have a chance at a good Colt, and the money in hand, (or on the card) BUY IT......NOW.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
That is nothing but the truth dfariswheel. When I think of the Colts I got rid of when I was young and dumb, I just want to cry at the prices on them now. You never miss it till it's gone.

4" blued Python (stolen)
4" Lawman (sold)
6" OMM .22lr (traded)
3" Dick Special (sold)
4" nickeled Trooper MkIII (stepped back and let my buddy buy it)
6" OP (gave to my now ex-brother in law)
4" PP (sold to get a PPT but was to late)

What the hell was I thinking????

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just love my 4" ".357 Magnum" model. Mine looks exactly like the one pictured, except that someone replaced the target stocks with Pacmeyers. Otherwise, condition is at least 95%. The heavy bull barrel really absorbs heavy loads (14.5 gr of W296)comfortably. Also, you gotta love that bright muzzle, it really makes it look bigger and meaner! I would love to someday get a pair of original target grips for it. Mine is serial number 63xx (four digit!!) I'm told she was made in 1954.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey there, OP! Just came across your reply to my .357 post. Thanks. I'm fond of mine, too, but if I had the choice, I'd've got a 4"! The six is just too clumsy for anything other than stand-up, bullseye shooting. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OfficalPoliceRev:
I just love my 4" ".357 Magnum" model. Mine looks exactly like the one pictured, except that someone replaced the target stocks with Pacmeyers. Otherwise, condition is at least 95%. The heavy bull barrel really absorbs heavy loads (14.5 gr of W296)comfortably. Also, you gotta love that bright muzzle, it really makes it look bigger and meaner! I would love to someday get a pair of original target grips for it. Mine is serial number 63xx (four digit!!) I'm told she was made in 1954. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can't thank you enough for the picture, BB. Yours looks PERFECT! Mine's not THAT nice. I'm afraid the 6" barrel is mighty cannon-like, too. I'd prefer the 4" but used means used, huh? I used to have a 4" old model Trooper and it and an original 1911 .45 are my two favorite guns. The Trooper is the same gun as the .357 but different firing mechanism. They're ALL very nice and seem to appeal to lots of us! Before I discovered this forum, I thought I was the Lone Ranger of Colt 2X revolvers! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bullet Bob:
I certainly like my four-incher. Feels very good in the hand.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just picked up a Colt .357 this weekend at the Houston Gunshow.It has a 6"bbl and target?(wide)hammer and what I believe to be original grips.This revolver has a wonderful action and the best feeling factory grips I have used.Can't wait to see how it shoots.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
W-a-a-al-l-l, Blow me Down! (Quote Popeye the Sailor.) We got a regular platoon of .357's goin' here! Congratulations, hidalgo! I'm sure you'll be very pleased with your gun. I'm just like you - that hammer and grips make for a great hold. If it hasn't come up yet, it will take a Python holster. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hidalgo:
I just picked up a Colt .357 this weekend at the Houston Gunshow.It has a 6"bbl and target?(wide)hammer and what I believe to be original grips.This revolver has a wonderful action and the best feeling factory grips I have used.Can't wait to see how it shoots.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think they're worth the hunt, Mr. Walter, but I am finding quirks and little annoyances after the honeymoon! It's NOT a brand-new, never been fired gun, but, thanks to info from guys on these pages, it's a nice one for my humble-but-growing collection. The neatest thing, of value only to me, is that THIS is the gun in a book by Larry Kohler I had in 6th grade! I thought it was the sleekest looking thing ever. (Pre-Python days - Eisenhower was president!) I guess I'm a real sucker for advertising. Now that I actually think about it in the, "cold light of day," that's probably why I like it so much - and the Official Police and the Cobra ... Holy Cow - I just realized, THERE WERE NO COLOR PICTURES OF SMITH AND WESSONS IN THE BOOK! Well, tweak my titties and call me a jelly-doughnut! Psychology at work on the pages of the Colt forum, 2003! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by R. Walter:

I can't say I've ever come across a Colt 357. I'll keep my eyes open more carefully as I wander around gun searching.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
52 Posts
I know I'm opening up a thread that ended sometime ago, but here goes...

I just saw my first Colt 357. It's probably 75% - 80% condition, 6 inch, grips in nice shape, and comes with the original box. The SN is 48xx which I place as first year of manufacture in 1954. Lockup is tight and has been shot some, although no "star-marked" on the recoil shield. Looks like lots of 38Spl from the cylinder.

I can get it for under $450. Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
7,326 Posts
If you want it , can afford it and mechanically it's sound , I'd recommend buying it as they seem to be tough to find . The price seems a little high for our area , but prices seem to vary greatly from one region to the next .

Here's mine .
Sorry for the poor photo . sn 42xx

·
Registered
448 Posts
I missed a like new one a few months ago for around $600. When I find a real nice one, I plan on buying it. My Blue Book is a few years old so I don't have any real current prices for you, however I'm sure someone will come along with good, current info. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I missed a like new one a few months ago for around $600. When I find a real nice one, I plan on buying it. My Blue Book is a few years old so I don't have any real current prices for you, however I'm sure someone will come along with good, current info. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have found a Colt .357(Circa, 1960)in 98%-99% condition with the target hammer and the original target grips(With a 6-inch barrel)! I'm working on a deal for it-but, there might be a "Hang-up" on the PRK, paperwork? If it works out, then I'll be buying this Colt .357(But, if not, I can blame only our rediculous, PRK gun laws!)? If I somehow get "Lucky" I'll post pictures of it here!

·
Registered
600 Posts
The .357 Colt revolvers are beaufiful guns, and have always been scarce in my neck of the woods. I got lucky a couple of years ago and found a 6" and shortly thereafter a nice 4", after not seeing any in decent shape for a long while. I'd say to R. Walter that the price may seem high now, but you will inevitably be happier with the gun than the dough, so go get it.

BTW, whatever happened to R.C. Wambold, who started this thread so long ago? He was a regular here for a long time, and then disappeared...
Charlie Flick

1 - 20 of 24 Posts