Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking for a 4 inch Model 357 to go with my 6 inch and am coming across a lot of the 1st gen Troopers in .357 which got me to wondering. How similar are the actions on the two models? The 6 inch Model 357 I have is one of the best actions I have felt in a revolver, so is the Trooper similar?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
The action on the first gen Trooper is "similar"to that of the model ThreeFiftySeven, but not as smooth...

Reactions: Robertkp31

·
Registered
12,392 Posts
As Snakeman said...the action is the same but with less "tuning"...otherwise the same gun. The same can be said for the Python over the others...same hand work but more handwork into making it smoother plus the increased polishing and finish work.

·
Registered
12,392 Posts
I had a couple of Colt revolvers from around 1962...Official Police and Trooper models. They each had the same assembler's mark...and each had super smooth actions. The assembler really knew his stuff.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
All I know is I recently shot my friend!s early Trooper .357 (that looks just like the .357) and fell in lust with it. It is a 4” barrel gun with full checkered target grips that I was told here are original. I only shot it single action so don’t know how the DA trigger was. I find these guns more interesting than Pythons. Here it is with my 19-4.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry

·
Banned
119 Posts
I've had two MKIII Troopers; one new in the 70s and one used I picked up about 15 years later. The first one was nickel the second blued, both 6".

Well finished, very strong, and very accurate as I recall. What I really decided I didn't like second time around was the double-action trigger which inherent in the design has a stacking effect. That is, it increases in resistance significantly before letoff. Single-action was excellent.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have my dad's 1966 4in Trooper and a high condition first year 4in, 3 5 7 model. The finish on the 3 5 7 seems to be slightly better quality, but I can't really tell a difference between the actions. Colt made a quality product in those days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 1960 4" 3-5-7 that was modified for a Fuzzy Farrant grip, a 1962 6" Trooper in .357 and a 1979 4" Python and I recently sold a 1960 4" Trooper in .38 Special.
All have delightfully smooth actions, but I don't think I can tell them apart, especially in single action. They do sound different when dry-fired - the pitch of strike is somewhat different between each. The 3-5-7 and 4" Trooper shoot better for me than the Python with the same ammo and grips. The 6" Trooper shoots better than either, but that may be the 6" barrel. FWIW, the 4" Trooper has the firing pin in the hammer, vs. in the frame on the other three and the Fuzzy grip is compact but awful to shoot with without a glove.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, part of the problem is solved as I came across a 4" Colt 357 which I will have, hopefully, next week. Right grip is in poor shape, left looks good but a bit worn. The gun looks good.

So, next week I will get to compare the actions...:)

Thanks for the assist folks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts