Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Other than the name on bbl. and number made, is there really any differance between the two. I've had both and they seemed identical in action and finish. Both are I frames. 357 was from 1960 and Trooper is from 1968. Sold the 357 because was offered a good price.

BTW I have Trooper 357s from 1968 in both 4" and 6" and among my favorite Colts and prefer them to my Pythons.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I do not know much about them except they sure look identical. I like them both, but I like most quality firearms. I do find it somewhat funny that it would appear that the troopers command a higher price than the 357 does

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
The Trooper and the 357 were introduced in 1953 and were different mechanically.

At that time, the Trooper was made as an "E" frame revolver with the firing pin mounted on the hammer, and only available in .38 Special and .22LR.

The 357 was the first Colt "I" frame revolver, heat treated for the higher pressure .357 Magnum and with the firing pin spring loaded and mounted in the frame.
The "I" frame was made without the firing pin bushing in the breech face as the "E" frame models had and that, along with the frame mounted firing pin and heat treating made the revolver able to handle the hotter .357 cartridge.

Due to lower sales for the 357, in 1961 Colt discontinued the 357 Model.
To simplify production they changed the "E" frame of the Trooper to the same "I" frame used on the 357 and Python, and started making it in .38 Special and .357 Magnum.

So, Troopers made from 1953 to 1961 are a different frame design than the 357. After 1961 the 357 was no longer made, and the new Trooper was an "I" frame model.
The post-1961 Trooper was basically the same gun as the 357 Model only stamped "Trooper".

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Interesting. So when some python snobs refer to a King Cobra as nothing more than a trooper with a underlug they are really sleighting their Python as well? :p

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
The King Cobra is quite different than the Python, Trooper 357 and Colt 357, and is more like the Colt Trooper Mark III. Just for starters, the King Cobra uses a coil spring for the mainspring, like the Colt Trooper Mark III, instead of a flat V-spring as used on the Python, Trooper 357 and Colt 357. I think the King Cobra uses MIM parts and minimal hand fitting of parts, like the Trooper Mark III, but much unlike the other Colt revolvers under discussion.

The trigger pull on the Python, Trooper 357 and Colt 357 is much better than on the Trooper Mk III, IMHO.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
You guys just ruined my fun......I agree correct, my KC trigger is just sad. I was just referring to a post where another on this forum said that the KC is nothing but a trooper with an underlug. never said aything about WHICH trooper

·
Registered
361 Posts
I picked up a 4" Trooper 357 made in 1965 recently from a LGS for $400.00. There is some very slight wear in the finish around the muzzle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts