Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Colt \"357\"

Well I bought it.

Good shape overall, action like glass. Frame seems brown shade of blue, barrel and chambers good.

SN 79XX.

Any ideas of date of manufacture or value ?

I paid $275 Canadian.(Plus tax, of course)

TJ

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: Colt \"357\"

Talljoe-

Your's is an early one from approximately 1956. Mechanical fit and action should be nothing short of absolutely superb.

Regards,

Sourdough

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I would like to take it apart to clean the insides. Have done S&W's in the past, is a Colt as easy ? Anything to watch out for ?

The cylinder release latch sits a few thou' off the frame. Is this normal, I would expect it to be touching ?

I assume I have the serial number correct. It is on the inside of the front of the frame. I checked the bottom of the butt which has a rough finish but no numbers.

Otherwise fit and finish is excellent. The cylinder locks up tight, no rattling, and the DA and SA pulls are the best I have owned. Smooth, precise, perfect !

Is the brownish hue to the frame bluing normal ??

Going to the range later to see how it shoots.

BFN

TJ

·
Registered
2,400 Posts

hi guys , on these early .357 were the wide spur hammers and target stocks available in the 1950's , just curious as i am also looking at an early one ,

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

The matte or "dull" finish on the trigger guard & other areas,as shown on Michaels great comparison shot,was called "Dual Tone Blue"and is listed in the catalogs. My 1954 "357",a 4 incher has it;my 1957 "357", a 6", is the glossy,except for top strap. Two Official Polices, a 4" from 1952 is dual tone, and a 2",from 1956, is gloss blue. Wonder if Colt got complaints from dealers/customers about the lack of "polish" on the "dual tones"? Colt "lightweights" will exhibit this,but this is due to steel cylinder & barrels,showing a different "color" than the annodized aluminum allow frames. An exception is ,my Courier,with the alloy cylinder, a .32.it exhibits more "purple"on the annodized area as it grows older! Bud

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

My early "357", serial number 25XX, also has the muzzle left in the white. I often wondered if it had been recrowned sometime in it's life.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

My barrel crown is also unblued, I half suspected it may have been refinished. Now I know that it wasn't.

Thanks to all for you valuable information.

One more thing....I would like to post a picture here. How do I do that ?

TJ

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Talljoe
I'm no expert here, but maybe I can help on your pix posting.

After you take your pictures with a digital camera and have them downloaded in your computer, usually in your "My Pictures" file, you need a "host" to store and retrieve the pix from to post here.
A good, no charge, one is imgspot.com. Go there and you will see "browse" click on "browse" and your "My pictures" file will come up. "Select" the picture you want and download it to the "host" (imgspot.com) by clicking on "Host It".
Now the "host" has your picture on file. After you do that the "URL" code will appear, something like this. http://img3.imgspot.com/u/04/197/02/P1010072.JPG
Copy it and after you have written your message here, put a bracketed
immediately after the URL's "JPG" and the picture will pop up here with your message.
Works on all forums.
Hope that is as clear as mud, but really after you do it a couple times, it's easy.
Good Luck

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 08-06-2004).]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I should have said, I took it to the range today and it shoots as good as it looks.

I have a tiny blind spot in the centre of my master eye vision, but I can still keep 4 out of 5 shots in just over an inch at 25 metres.

Love it. Funny enough, I owned a Trooper Mk III some years back. Really put me off Colt revolvers. It was horrid. Bad timing, clunky, generally not close to the quality of the S&W I swapped for it. But this 357 is a piece of art. Not in quite as nice shape as Mike's pics above, but still a beaut.

TJ

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,893 Posts

RJ
The 357 and Trooper were available with target hammer and stocks from the "get-go" in 1953-54.

The early Colt target stocks had the fully checkered panels with no "thumb rest" on either side.
Colt used these up to sometime in the l;ate 50's early 60's.

Very early 1950's Colt's had the first type Accro rear sight. This is easily recognized by the rounded front edge of the sight base leaf, and no "hump". Later Acco sights have the squared off front leaf and a "hump".

TALLJOE.
The Colt is quite different from the S&W. IT DOES NOT come apart as easily, especially the cylinder locking bolt, which can be easily damaged.

If you want to disassemble your valuable 357, or if you intend to "mess around" with Colts, I strongly suggest investing $40.00 in a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's book, "The Colt Double Action Revolvers: A Shop Manual" Volume One.

This gives very intimate step-by-step details on disassembly, reassembly, inspection, timing, repairs, and a wealth of other info.
Money WELL spent.

The cylinder latch SHOULD stand off slightly. This is to prevent bluing wear to the side plate. Later cylinder latches weren't as closely fitted, and use a nylon spacer to do the same thing.

The serial number is stamped inside the frame, the cylinder crane, and inside the side plate. Colt stamped serials on the gun butt only on military revolvers and a few VERY early 1900's revolvers.

The brownish hue to the frame is likely age and use.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 08-06-2004).]

·
Registered
99 Posts

These are great guns. I have a couple that are a joy to shoot. Both are 6-inchers that came with target hammers and target stocks. It's interesting that the earlier one (1954) has a matte finish on the cylinder flutes, under the trigger guard and bottom of frame, and the topstrap. It also has the unblued muzzle crown. The later one (1958) is shiny blue everywhere but the topstrap and has a blued crown.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts

good afternoon, posted above are two very fine .357's owned by Michael Stern , in the photo showing the edge of the barrel crown it is countersunk, are all .357 barrel crown it is countersunkalso ??
i have an old well used one from 1959 and i have been looking for a barrel because i believed a former owner had the colt modified , know i'm beginning to wonder , what do you guys think. wish i had a camera i post a picture , rojs

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

rj, my "357" has a muzzle exactly like the one Mr. Stern has pictured that's in the white if that's any help to you.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts

hi Majic, i am talking about the angle cut from the barrel into the bore. or the angle of the muzzle crown into the bore.please advise rj

1 - 16 of 16 Posts