Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Colt 357 (pre-trooper)it only fires on double action about half the time.When cocked and fired single action it is 100%.The double action pull is extremly light,it acts like a S&W with the strain screw backed out.Any ideas?I don't beleve there are any gunsmiths in my area qualified to work on a Colt.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
There's a good chance somebody over-bent the mainspring to give it a lighter DA trigger pull.

Unless you want to cut to the chase and send it in to Colt for a repair, here's what I'd suggest.

First buy a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's book, "The Colt Double Action Revolvers: A Shop Manual", Vol. One.

This book is THE reference for disassembly, inspection, adjustment, repair, and tuning of the older style Colt's.

Then, buy a new mainspring from Gun Parts Corporation, Brownell's, or Colt.

The Kuhnhausen book will tell you step by step how to disassemble the 357 and replace the spring.
Unless there's something else wrong, this should fix things up.
If this isn't the problem the book will help you to determine what is the problem, so you don't waste time and money trying to guess what is wrong.

If you own an older Colt DA revolver, the Kuhnhausen book is almost required reading.

It's available from Brownell's, Midway in Missouri, and some on-line book sellers.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hidalgo

Is it time yet for the First Annual Colt Wheelgun Owners Lone Star BBQ and Hole In The Wall Shooting Expedition?

------------------
I'm so worried about what's hapenin' today, in the middle east, you know.
And I'm worried about the baggage retrieval system they've got at Heathrow.
I'm so worried about the fashions today, I don't think they're good for your feet.
And I'm so worried about the shows on TV that sometimes they want to repeat.

[This message has been edited by jar (edited 10-29-2003).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts