Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just acquired this 38 Colt from my mother-in-law. She does not know anything about the Colt as it once belonged to my father-in-law's uncle. My mother-in-law said it was in pieces when they received the revolver and that my father-in-law sent it out to be blued and reassembled. It is now in perfect condition with leather holster. The story goes that the uncle used it in the 1920s. While examining the revolver, I found out that it had a patent of 1871 and below that July 2, 1972 and January 1975. The serial number is 282794. My question is: when he sent this in to be reassembled, did they engrave this patents on or are they the original engraving? Can anyone tell me how far this revolver goes back by serial number?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Welcome. You have a Single Action Army made in 1906. The patent dates are actually 1872 and 1875. They are original. Unfortunately, rebluing detracts from the value of the gun, as original condition is everything with old Colts. None the less, it is valuable and collectable as are all first generation SAA's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, I'm back with another question. I have a Colt Combat Commander Model, serial number A17933. Can you give me more information on this pistol? One more question: I am still wondering how or why they engraved July 2, 1972 and January 1975 on my Colt 38 when it was sent in to be reassembled and blued?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Ronald,

If you post your question about your Commander under the semiauto heading, I'm sure one of the auto fans will help you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bushwhacker: I called Colt today. They could not come up with my serial number A17933. She was saying that it could be a series 70. Some series 70 are not marked on their pistols or maybe 1911. She got my in touch with Icons and they are going to get back with me. In the meantime if you come up with anything, I sure would appreciate it.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Ronald - Let me make a disclaimer, I am not much of an autoloader guy, and my serial list ends at 1985; but I could find no Government Model, Commander or Combat Commander with a serial that began with "A". Hopefully, someone on the auto side can help. Also, I believe A1A had an earlier post with an Email address for Colt if the phone call was a dead end.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts