Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am semi new to owning guns, I own a couple rifles but i dont know alot about maintience and cleaning ect. i have an opportunity to buy a colt 38 special revolver which i have wanted for a long time, the thing is it was left outside for a couple weeks and had some surface rust on it, the kid that owns it cleaned it up, i wasnt there i dont know how well, i saw it afterwards and the rust is gone for the most part, could i do a good cleaning and have a good gun?or is it ruined and or dangerous, i live in maine im sure it has rained alot in this time.. he is asking 100$ for it.. if anyone has some info about this i would really appreicate it i would love to own this gun, but i want a safe gun and something that will work for me, thanks for your time

·
Registered
495 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. You came to the right place to find out something about your pistol. We won't be able to tell you much about it though unless you post some good, clear pictures and/or at least provide the serial, number, barrel length, finish, and whatever writing or numbers etc that are on it. Describe it as well as you can, and somebody will be glad to help you out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much, it is hard to find good info on the internet, this site is a goodresource you guys do a good job

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
The most helpful thing you can do is post clear detailed pictures so we can see the true extent of the rusting involved and we all will be happy to help you out. If it is mechanically sound and the rust is superficial you will have a very good buy and if it is not you will have a parts gun.Sounds like a win win to me either way.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
What is stamped on the barrel? For instance does it say Det.Spl.,or Cobra or Agent or Official police or Diamondback or??? Knowing what model will help some.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
As above, pictures will be of great help.

Also, if you are new to gun ownership it might be best to have a trusted local gunsmith in your area evaluate the gun for safety. We can offer pointers, however nothing beats having someone with experience look at the gun in person. All that being said, be advised the gunsmiths capable of doing quality work on a Colt double action are few in number (assuming this is a DA), however most can complete a basic functionality check.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts