Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have located a Colt 38 W.C.F, SN: 259xxx, 4 3/4 inch barrel, with patent dates Sept 19, 1871; July 2, 72; Jan 9, 75; Circled Colt stamped on the left side of the frame and Colts stamped on both grips. Look like it could use some care. Pitting in two places but otherwise everythihg works smoothly. That is all I wrote down when I saw it.

Looking for info on what this might be worth.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Joe

I am assuming by the caliber and the barrel length, you are talking about a Single Action Army model, because according to your serial number it was made in 1904.
Now that would make it a pre-First Generation gun in what they call the "Early Smokeless Powder SAA", these were made from 1896-1908.
What I would do is have it thoroughly checked out by a good gunsmith, to make sure it is sound, and if he or someone you can trust at appraising guns would look it over and give you an opinion, because what you have here, DEPENDING on condition is a gun that could, I say COULD, be worth somewhere between $2,000 and $12,000. I would also be vary vary wary of fakes. You really need to have this checked out thoroughly by an expert before you jump in.
Just my opinion, and others may disagree.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Faking old SAA was the name of the game at one time and some people were masters at it. Be very careful as Dick warned. If it's original then it is a real piece of history with a good value attached to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a picture of my grandfather with a Colt taken in 1907. My mother said this was his favorite gun which he passed to my grandmother who passed it on to my mom. Since it has been in the family since at least 1907 I believe this is a real McCoy.

[This message has been edited by JoeBlotnik (edited 12-11-2003).]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Joe

Sounds like you have real Smokelss Powder SAA there, with provinance. Even with the minor "could use some care" and "pitting in two places" it should not greatly affect the value of such a fine piece, since they only made 135,000 of these and obviously most of them are long gone after 100 years.
As I stated before, you really need to have an expert, knowlegeable in SAAs, to check that gun out, because it could be very valuable and possibly appraise out in excess of $15,000 or more, that is IF it were sold, which it appears you have no intention of doing, considering it's history in the family.
Good luck with this fine piece and we love hearing about such finds.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts