Colt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colt .380 Gov\'t barrel lug peening

In regard to lug peening and soft lugs on these pistols.
Does it effect both carbon steel and Stainless pistols? Is it more of a problem with early pistols or does it effect all vintages? My used stainless one, 1990-1991 vintage, unknown amount of use but apparently shot a good bit - it was a local cops / sherrif's BUG. Although in excellent condition other than some handling marks it showed just a start of peening on the barrel lugs and none in the slide. I sent it back to Colt and they checked it out including cleaning everything up, gave it a clean bill of health and returned it at no charge to me. Great service.
I will keep an eye on mine although I do have an extra (blued-carbon steel) barrel if I need it. Are the barrels drop in or is there any fitting involved? I tried the blued one in my pistol and it appeared to work fine running the action by hane but I didn't fire it with the extra barrel.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Re: Colt .380 Gov\'t barrel lug peening

The problem is, how long will it last? That is my dilema. I like my gov 380, but the peening is getting slowly worse. I think eventually it will jam the gun and then I am done. So what to do? Buy another? I am not sure I am any better off.

I am sort of hoping that Colt will start making them again and then I will get a new one and see if it is better made.

Sigh!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts