Colt Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
FYI

Those two SMP's (as all the others I bought in the past years) were acquired in Canada. Since they are considered "prohibited" under Canadian law, one must be grandfathered to acquire and own them. Because of a low demand, they sell for a fraction of their price in USA. That's why I can afford buying them. Unfortunately, because they don't meet BATF standards, they cannot be exported south of the border.
Once the supply of grandfathered owners
dries up, don't they get destroyed in the end anyway?

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Once the supply of grandfathered owners
dries up, don't they get destroyed in the end anyway?
According to present Canadian law, because they were made before 1946, they can be inherited by owner’s next of kin, and so on through generations, at least until a new law eventually ends this transmission process, in such case subject handguns could be deactivated. But another option would consist of replacing their barrels by longer ones (i.e. over 4 inches); that would change their official status from prohibited to restricted, then allowing any Canadian gun owners to legally make their acquisition.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Based on the prices I've seen lately I'm impressed that some of you who fancy SMP .380s keep adding to your collection. I was fortunate to buy a lot of mine when they first came in and before their prices rose so high. I would be interested in knowing how many were imported into Canada. There were also some imported into the UK along with some SMP Webley revolvers. A gun shop in Aldershot had some of them, but I'm assuming that most got turned in when the stricter UK gun laws were passed.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
The person from whom I acquired my Shanghai had a bunch of replacement parts specifically for the Shanghai pistol. I would assume he still has them. I was tapped out $$ after purchasing from him 7 M’s (3 in boxes), Audrey holster... that I didn’t have him take the extra parts out to even look at - might have owed him my left nut along with the gun money allotment I forked over to him.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts