Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone first time posting and first day with an account. I bought this gun at a pawn shop. I thought it was really cool so I bought it. The gun seems to be working, it cocks back and dry fires (I didn't dry fire it the lady behind the counter did ). On top of the barrel it reads Colts PT. F. A. MFG. Co, and on the side it says Colt. D.A .41. The serial number I am guessing is 118650 (because it is everywhere). The spring that takes out the bullets is not as springy anymore, but it works ad the barrel is 4 inches. Can you guys help me figure out how old, and how much this gun is worth please? I tried uploading the pictures directly but it kept saying file error so I uploaded to Imgur.

https://imgur.com/a/i2wI4

·
Registered
95 Posts
Model 1877 made in 1900 (according to Colt's serial number database online).

Value...hard to say. Does it work in double action and single action?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I understand the single action mode is a bit delicate=fire it Double Action. Lockwork is pretty fragile=I would not dry fire it any more. Black powder cartridges only. That model was nicknamed the "Thunderer". The 38 Long Colt was the "Lightning" and the 32 was the "Rainmaker" (VERY rare!). Cartridges are available as are reloading supplies. I have 5 or 6, 41s in different calibers. A pretty effective defense cartridge in a decent revolver=about equal to the 38-40.

·
Registered
9,560 Posts
These have notoriously weak springs, and finding a gunsmith to work on them is quite an exercise, so stop dry-firing or cycling it.

They seem to function best when fired double-action - 'not' single-action.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Colt Forum. Glad you joined us!

·
Premium Member
4,155 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Colt Forum from West Virginia. Glad you joined us.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts