Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone second time posting... I think I might have posted in the wrong thread. I bought this gun at a pawn shop. I thought it was really cool so I bought it. The gun seems to be working, it cocks back and dry fires (I didn't dry fire it the lady behind the counter did ). On top of the barrel it reads Colts PT. F. A. MFG. Co, and on the side it says Colt. D.A .41. The serial number I am guessing is 118650 (because it is everywhere). The spring that takes out the bullets is not as springy anymore, but it works ad the barrel is 4 inches. Can you guys help me figure out how old, and how much this gun is worth please? I tried uploading the pictures directly but it kept saying file error so I uploaded to Imgur.

https://imgur.com/a/i2wI4

·
Registered
417 Posts
That is a Colt Thunderer, which, along with the .38 cal Lightning, was their first double action revolver. A quick look at the Colt site serial number look-up says it's from 1900. Dry firing is probably not a good idea for something that old. As far as value is concerned, hopefully the experts will be along soon but they'll want a more pictures. Start searching and watching Gunbroker ads for Colt Thunderers and you'll start to get some idea of value. I've got a Lighting from 1891 and it's ejector spring has also lost it's springiness. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
The Colt 1877 in .41 Colt caliber is known as the Thunderer but this name was from one of the major Colt Dealers in the late 1800s. As "JohnD56" stated " Dry firing is probably not a good idea for something that old". If the revolver is working in SA and DA, that is good. The major problem with the 1877 is the SEAR! This part is only working when cocked SA, and the Sear is made from Malleable Iron, heat treated, but the tips wear quickly and you lose the ability for SA firing. Use the DA as much as possible because finding an original Sear is difficult and they cost about $150 when you can find one. There are reproductions made, but difficult to fit correctly. The other problem are the Springs can break and must be replaced. The reproductions springs can be fit pretty easily. I would recommend that ONLY black powder cartrides be fired in the 1877.

As to the value, this is tough. Being manufactured in 1900, the wear on the stocks show the revolver has been used of handled a lot. So , I will be assuming some facts. The good part is is works in DA & SA. From the pictures, the finish shows wear. Assuming the bore is good with little pitting, it is all matching, not pitted on the metal and has a weak Ejector Spring (another hard part to find). The Ejector Spring from Numrich Arms will not fit, and I don;t know where to get another one. I would put the value at $800 to maybe $900. These revolvers vary a lot in pricing; even on Gunbroker. I like the Colt 1877 and can do some work on them, but since parts are difficult to find, I only buy those in working condition now. Here are a couple if mine.

027.JPG 005.JPG IMG_1317.JPG

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
rzc989,

If you are interested, I have some documents on the history, maintenance, and disassembly of the Colt 1877 revolver. If you would like a copy of these 2 documents, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send them to you.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Marvin,

How different is the ejector spring on an 1877 compared to that on an SAA?

Buck

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Marvin,

How different is the ejector spring on an 1877 compared to that on an SAA?

Buck
haggis,

The spring is a smaller diameter that the one for the SAA revolver. Numrich Arms shows a Spring for the 1877, and it is the same diameter as the Colt SAA and will not fit in the Ejectror Housing. I ordered one about 2 - 3 years ago and I just put it with my SAA revolver Springs. I don't remember the Spring diameter and I am not where I can get to my 1877s today. I could use a couple myself as 2 of my revolvers Springs are a little weak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts