Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a story in the Texas Monthly this month that a sheriff in Bee County, TX was in a gun fight and he shot it out with two guys. In the story it is said the sheriff used a Colt 44 and this was before the Colt Anaconda and it was around 1947. Could this had been a Colt New Service as the story doesn't say which Colt it is? He shot two guys and reloaded and shot them again all the while being shot 5 times with a .38. I can't hardly imagine he was using a SAA Colt unless he was fanning his pistol. That is why I imagine he was using a double action pistol in one of the .44 calibers?

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
It sounds most likely a New Service but I believe more than a few of those old Texas lawmen were still packing an SAA...and they probably were very good at using them.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
That was when the Sheriff was a lawman and not a politician. Our county elected a retired FBI agent as Sheriff and expected good things from him. The only time he was seen was for photo ops.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Being in the Valley at that time, I would bet it was an SAA. We had a similar sherrif in my home county and he was deadly with his SAA up into his 70s.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
He was neither a lawman or a westerner, but when grand-dad chose a revolver for his trapping and hunting in 1904/1905 his choice was a 7.5" Colt New Service in .45 Colt. He believed in using the best and most modern guns available at the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts