Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who is not a gun person, who wants to sell me his father inlaw?s Colt 45 80 and 90 Series (Model M1991A1). It?s blue steel...

It?s in great shape, my guess it?s only been shot a hand full of times. I tried to look up the serial number on Colts website but nothing popped up. This has me a little worried. (Serial # FR26015E)

My question is would you buy it and how much is it with worth?

He?s wanting $350, which I think is pretty freaking good.

Trying to attach picture from iPhone but it?s telling me invalid image.

Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Are you talking about one gun or two? I'm guessing 1 but usually it's just referred to as a Series 80, or 1991A1, or a Government model. Series 90 would be a Defender.

I wouldn't worry about the serial number not being in Colt's system. Their website says the records are not complete. For some reason the older records seem more complete than the newer records.

If the gun appears to be in functioning condition that is a great price. If interested I'd jump on that deal ASAP otherwise someone else will.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Any Colt's Model O pistol, in "great shape...only shot a hand full of times" is worth twice what he's asking, in my opinion. And welcome to the Colt Forum, thanks for joining us!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay now I get the models, I don?t know much about Colts. Apparently I have the government issue. I would say it?s in perfect condition, just needs a cleaning.

What would you pay for it?

Looking forward to learning about Colts, guns are so much fun!

·
Registered
296 Posts
The value will vary significantly depending on many circumstances. Anything from $500 to $800 could be reasonable for what you have described. Depends on the condition, box, magazines, relationship between buyer and seller, etc. Either way $350 is an no brainer unless you need the money to buy food or pay the rent.

·
Registered
774 Posts
What ever it is, if it's a Colt 1911 and is in "Great Shape" it's worth more then $350. Entry level Colt 1911 is worth double that.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Price is right, no question. I thought he might like more information about the particular gun if it could be identified.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes it?s just like the picture, it?s definitely full size. Its blue steel with brown grips, silver color trigger with the three holes in it.

I wish I could figure out how to post a picture.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
That one is actually the third generation of the enhanced line called the XSE. I posted the second generation enhanced called the XS. The first generation was the flat top rib version.

Some parts were changed later so there are actually two variations of the XSE. Your potential purchase is the earlier variant. Dakota1911 has both variations. He may be able to tell you when the first variation started and stopped. Colt customer service can give you the precise year for yours on the phone. Think early to mid part of the decade of 2000-2009 give or take. That gun msrp'd at about 1050 when taken out of production in what I believe to have been 2015. Looks well preserved.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info, I bought it today for $400. Gave him an extra 50 cause I almost feel like I?m stealing it. Oh well!! I guess I?m in the Colt Family now!!!

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Sounds like a great deal. The Series 80 mechanical firing pin safety was introduced in 1983 by Colt across the models they then made. Initially Series 90 was used on their DA/SA Double Eagle pistols. This is one example of many different models.

I think most people felt Series 90 was the Double Eagle, but then Colt called the Defender a Series 90 which had the Series 80 mechanical firing pin safety but was SA and confused a lot of people. The grips on this 2002 example I own were changed out for some from the old Ajax Co. by the way.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Very nice Combat Commander.
Thanks! However, it is not mine. I borrowed the picture off the web to depict features of the second generation of E serial number suffix pistols. The OP indicated the pistol he was looking at did not have the flat top rib of the first series. The picture was part of a process of elimination.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts