Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did Colt ever make a SS 45 in the 70 series? I know they make them now but I mean the old 70 series SS. Not Satin nickel or nickel but Stainless Steel.I'm trying to settle an arguement with a friend,he says they made a SS 45 series 70 and I say I've never seen one.Who's right? Thanks

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
From Blue Book:

GOVERNMENT MODEL MKIV/SERIES 70- .45 ACP, .38 Super, 9mm Para., or 9mm Steyr cal., 5 in. barrel, checkered walnut grips/medallion. Series 70 models were serial numbered with "SM" prefixes (approx. 3,000 mfg.), "70G" prefixes 1970-76, "70L" and "70S" prefixes also (see Serialization section for more information), "G70" suffixes 1976-80, "B70" suffixes 1979-81, and "70B" prefixes 1981-83. Mfg. 1970-83.

GOVERNMENT MODEL SERIES 70 MODEL O- .45 ACP cal., patterned after the original Series 70 pistol, high polish blue finish or stainless steel (new 2005), new release from the Custom Shop beginning 2002.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Did Colt ever make a SS 45 in the 70 series? I know they make them now but I mean the old 70 series SS. Not Satin nickel or nickel but Stainless Steel.I'm trying to settle an arguement with a friend,he says they made a SS 45 series 70 and I say I've never seen one.Who's right? Thanks
I had - still have - a special run of 1911 Colt 45s inaugurating their use of Stainless Steel in the 1911, (a Government model), fact it may have been first time for any semi-auto of theirs? That part I don't know.

The gun was made in '85, so that was the start of Colt's use of SS in 1911 45s.

Here it is the Colt:

"Silver Star 45"

Got it used for 800 - a deal. Welllllllllll, not really, after a month of great use, it starts having FTFs and Colt diagnoses a terminally chamfered slide and barrel.
(A notch on the "roof" of the slide - inside the slide - that fits with the barrel lugs for lock-up was chamfered. Looked like the previous owner - who was dead, his son was selling his guns - perhaps had filed it. Colt also I know had some bad slides in the 80s - I think bad metal. So, maybe that was it. Dunno.........

So, i'm going to have Colt install a new slide sometime, I was thinking of polished blue - a two tone Colt 1911 - and they offered to engrave a star on the side. But the words cannot be engraved, that was done by special order at some other place at the time. Too bad....)

There was a run of a thousand of these special edition "Silver Star 45"s

Youtube has a video on them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFphUHmQass

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone knows how to have a micro-weld done on the area chamfered and wants the gun, it's theirs for $500. Look into that carefully though. It still fires OK 9 out of 10 rounds so you could see it is highly accurate when the camfered area could be fixed.
Then you get an FTF. This will get worse as the chamfered slide chamfers the barrel lugs, the barrel is new, Colt gave it to me as a freebie. Since then I haven't fired it so I can keep the barrel pristine for its new slide.

There's 2 on auction, used slightly, for about $1400 apiece now on Gunbroker. I've seen NIB ones at $2000.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts