Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 45 magazine that is marked C-S on the bottom of the floor plate and "S" on the top of the plate toe. What do those stand for? I would figure one would indicate the manufacturer but why two stamps? Thank you and a Merry Christmas.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have discribed the magazine a little better. It is blued steel which came home with a 1911A1 from WWII, so the "S" can't stand for stainless. I have other magazines from WWII & Korea that are marked with an "L" on the top lip of the floor plate. Maybe someone can recommend a good reference book that would cover this? I'm starting to get into these Colts and appreciate this Forum along with everyones help. God Bless and Merry Christmas

·
Registered
68 Posts
The combination of "S" and "C-S" markings indicate the magazine was manufactured by Scovill Mfg. Co., Waterbury, Conn., and supplied under contract to Colt during WWII. The "S" indicates the Scovill manufacturer and the "C-S" indicates that it was supplied to Colt under a sub-contract. So, originally at least, it would have been found in a Colt-made pistol.

An "L" at the top lip with no other markings would indicate a magazine made (during either World War) by M.S. Little Mfg. Co, Hartford, Conn., as a spare magazine; i.e., not necessarily supplied to a specific pistol manufacturer.

(Info from Clawson's "Colt .45 Service Pistols.")

And, a Merry Christmas to you!

Steve

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
I would think the R1 isn't made to consistent specs. The Remingtons failed in the market for a reason. Colt may not always make the best finished or assembled guns..it happens to all...but they've been making that .45 for over 100 years...I think they've pretty much got it down. Remington made 1911 platform pistols for a short time and I've heard from somewhat indifferent quality control at times.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
"Almost seems like it to short."
Colt also made those magazines for the Officers Model which has a shorter grip frame and thus a shorter magazine. Are you sure they are the standard Government Model/Commander size? How many rounds do they hold?

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
An old post going in two different directions, but a .45 magazine with C-S on the bottom of the toe and an S on top of the toe is a WWII contract magazine.

Initially Colt made their own magazines for the Model 1911A1. The M.S. Little Company was the prime contractor for magazines in WWII with Risdon and Scovill being sub-contractors of Little, and furnished magazines to Remington Rand, Ithaca, and US&S. In late 1942 Colt contracted with the M.S. Little Co. (and it's sub-contractors) to furnish magazine tubes with the base attached. Colt completed the magazines, forming and tempering the feed lips.

Occasionally one of the magazines will be found with one subcontractor on the bottom of the toe, and another on top of the toe.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Can’t resist. 😆

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.