Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 45 magazine that is marked C-S on the bottom of the floor plate and "S" on the top of the plate toe. What do those stand for? I would figure one would indicate the manufacturer but why two stamps? Thank you and a Merry Christmas.

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have discribed the magazine a little better. It is blued steel which came home with a 1911A1 from WWII, so the "S" can't stand for stainless. I have other magazines from WWII & Korea that are marked with an "L" on the top lip of the floor plate. Maybe someone can recommend a good reference book that would cover this? I'm starting to get into these Colts and appreciate this Forum along with everyones help. God Bless and Merry Christmas

·
Registered
68 Posts
The combination of "S" and "C-S" markings indicate the magazine was manufactured by Scovill Mfg. Co., Waterbury, Conn., and supplied under contract to Colt during WWII. The "S" indicates the Scovill manufacturer and the "C-S" indicates that it was supplied to Colt under a sub-contract. So, originally at least, it would have been found in a Colt-made pistol.

An "L" at the top lip with no other markings would indicate a magazine made (during either World War) by M.S. Little Mfg. Co, Hartford, Conn., as a spare magazine; i.e., not necessarily supplied to a specific pistol manufacturer.

(Info from Clawson's "Colt .45 Service Pistols.")

And, a Merry Christmas to you!

Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts