Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am hoping one of you can point me in the right direction. I've recently inherited a Colt Single Action .45/c with a 4 3/4" barrel made in 1884. According to Colt Archive letter, it was shipped to Hartley & Graham in New York on July 31, 1884 in a shipment of 50 guns. The gun does not have the original blueing, it has been renickeled(sp?), but is in better than average condition with no major issues. It sat in a felt lined case for at least 30 years. There is a small worn section on the tip of the barrel where it appears someone slid it in and out of a holster regularly.
Please find some photos below. Two questions:
1). What is the best way to determine the value of this gun?

2). If we decide to sell it, what is the best, safest way to sell this gun?

Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
It looks like the serial number is in the 111,000 range.

The pictures really don’t show all aspects of your Single Action, but from what I can tell your Colt was heavily buffed prior to it being nickeled and the grips, while old, are not period correct, they are very worn, and not original to the gun if the Colt is in the 111,000 serial number range.

It would be my opinion that your Single Action might, emphasis on might, bring about $1000 if everything else is original. I doubt that it would bring any more than that, if that much. However, that would be selling it to someone that wanted an example of an early Single Action; not a Single Action collector or dealer.

Since this is a family gun I'd keep it in the family!!!!!

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Someone cut the barrel way back when.
Good observation; I hadn’t noticed that the barrel extended slightly past the end of the ejector rod housing!!!

The OP indicated that the gun lettered with a 4 3/4 inch barrel, so I guess after observing the 2 line barrel address (correct for a 4 3/4 inch barrel) and what appeared to be a 4 3/4 inch barrel as stated by the poster; I was too fixated on the heavily buffed surface and the wrong grips to notice that the barrel extended slightly beyond the ejector rod housing and just assumed that the area hadn’t been altered. The front sight has the correct profile for a gun of that era and it looks like it is in the correct position, perhaps a little further back than usual (hard to tell from the pictures). The screw hole in the ejector rod housing looks like it’s in the right place also, but the housing doesn’t extend to the end of the barrel. Something is wrong in that area.

The ejector rod housing doesn’t fit very well at the frame. Replaced housing or barrel boss broke and was relocated and the housing altered or replaced???

The barrel has the correct 2 line address for a 4 3/4 inch barrel. Mismarked and replaced 5 1/2 or 7 1/2 inch barrel that has been cut down??????

Factory oddity?????

Without better pictures I would probably suspect the ejector rod housing, but after all is said and done its still an old Colt that has had its collector value severely reduced.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
so, you've got an idea of worth (personally, i think $800-1100 normally, but in todays economy, less than $1000)
about how to sell it;
you'd probably get it sold the quickest on Gunbroker, or right here. I've bought and sold on both without any problems. you could list it here and if no one wants it, list it at gunbroker. it's easy to get a sellers account on gunbroker. email me if you need help getting started
tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts