Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Colt 45 that was sold to my father. The seller said that it originally was owned by Pat Garrett and was confiscated from Billy the Kid when he was arrested. There is a photo of a replica of the gun in the Mesilla Town Hall. The serial number has been filed off but my father got a new number from the Colt company in the 60's. The number is TR106. My father told my sister that he bought it from a Mr. Parten who in turn purchased it from Gus Griggs. It is unknown why the serial number was filed off. Hearsay was that Gus wanted to open a museum but fell on hard times and sold the gun and then claimed that the guns were stolen. I am unable to find a police report to verify. Nor do I have dates. He may have told Mr. Parten to file off the numbers or Mr. Parten filed off on his own.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You may joke but I have been in touch with the Albert Fountain family. Look that name up, smart ass. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
I lived a few miles from Mesilla, and used to go to shows at the Fountain theatre. I don't remember a Mesilla "town hall." Pat Garrett was killed in the arroyo across the street from my house. But he didn't live in Cruces or Mesilla in those years of hunting Billy the Kid. Albert Fountain wasn't that involved either, other than being prominent lawyer that was murdered a few years later.

First questions: you say the serial number was filed off. Were they both filed off? Can you show a picture like this of the frame, including the screw that is showing near the top, on this example?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
His post was not rude at all. However, you calling him a name was.
Based on the lack of information and all questionable actions surrounding but without any credible event to prove its authenticity, what did you epect to receive in responses. You may not be new to forums, but your post count here identifies you as new to the Colt Forum and in the future probably more supporting and creditable info might help you gather much more. Just an observation from my part.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
His post was not rude at all. However, you calling him a name was.
Based on the lack of information and all questionable actions surrounding but without any credible event to prove its authenticity, what did you epect to receive in responses. You may not be new to forums, but your post count here identifies you as new to the Colt Forum and in the future probably more supporting and creditable info might help you gather much more. Just an observation from my part.
I apologise but he basically called me a liar and I took offense.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Can you give a picture of the bottom of the gun? Or at least tell us if it has a screw in the frame near the cylinder pin, like the one shown?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I lived a few miles from Mesilla, and used to go to shows at the Fountain theatre. For the life of me I don't remember a Mesilla "town hall." Pat Garrett was killed in the arroyo across the street from my house. But he didn't live in Cruces or Mesilla in those years of hunting Billy the Kid. The Albert Fountain weren't that involved either, other than being prominent lawyer that was murdered a few years later.

First questions: you say the serial number was filed off. Were they both filed off? Can you show a picture like this of the frame, including the screw that is showing near the top, on this example?

Yes that area was filed off for some reason. My father sent it to Colt to have a new number stamped on it. It still has the January on the frame but not the year. Both the ATF and FBI came to my fathers home questioning sending a gun through the US Postal Service and he showed them the letter from Colt requesting he send them the gun to stamp the new serial number.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes that area was filed off for some reason. My father sent it to Colt to have a new number stamped on it. It still has the January on the frame but not the year. Both the ATF and FBI came to my fathers home questioning sending a gun through the US Postal Service and he showed them the letter from Colt requesting he send them the gun to stamp the new serial number.
Also, Mr. Fountain was friends with Mr. Garrett and after he shot Billy the Kidd, Mr. Fountain gave him a gold star pin which happens to be in the hands of a private collector. I sure wish the item was returned to the Fountain family. Mr. Fountain was a prominent lawyer in the area and had that star custom made for Mr. Garrett. Mr. Garrett investigated the murder of Mr. Fountain and his young son. It was all very tragic.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's true, you reminded me of that star, I think I saw it somewhere once.
Mesilla does have a town hall now, I went to high school with Nora, the current mayor of Mesilla. After all, the area is a small but close knit community.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, my father bought two guns at the same time. This one and another. The other gun has dates of September 19, 1871, July 2, 1872 and January 19, 1875. A lot has happened since 1800's lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, my father bought two guns at the same time. This one and another. The other gun has dates of September 19, 1871, July 2, 1872 and January 19, 1875. A lot has happened since 1800's lol
Albert Fountain murder happened in 1896.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
OK, back to your gun. Can you show if it has a screw to hold the cylinder pin in? Or does it have a "cross pin screw" on the side of the frame, like this?

1 - 20 of 177 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.