Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got this today for $375 , nice tight, clean bore, not messed with finish and screws. It's marked on butt, M.S.P. serial made in 1940. Did I over pay? Police wear on outside grip,blue 85 percent.

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Great job! Considering today's prices, I think you could have paid $575 for that revolver and still done ok.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I like the 5" length, I have one also. But the ramped front sight says that it is a post-war revolver. Barrel possibly replaced?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does not appear rebarrel. It could have shipped after WW2 . Colt mixed up a lot of parts from 1945-50 . Old and New,prewar and post-war. I will have to get a letter of when it was shipped and to who.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I concur it is rebarreled, the blue is different. I would think it was done by Colt. It is a fine Colt and will be great shooter for sure. The cly-gap is tight. 647092 wear on finish is uniform for sure.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
It may have a newer barrel but remains a Colt and a very nice shooter. MSP likely is Michigan State Police.

·
Premium Member
5,800 Posts
Colt offered a modified front sight like that on its prewar guns, so it may not be a post-war barrel. An archive letter would most likely indicate whether the sight was special ordered.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
You guys may be overthinking the barrel issue. The lighting in the pictures is such that I can't see any dramatic difference in finish. If the wear on all parts is uniform, as stated, a barrel change is also unlikely. And reshaping the half-moon front sight to a ramp was the most commonly encountered modification done to these, as many pre-war guns stayed in service long after the war, and it wasn't hard to make it look just like the factory ramps on the post-war iteration.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts