Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks

I'm getting my first AR this year and have pretty well decided on a 6920. In looking at Colt's spec page they all seem pretty similar. Are there any key differences from an operational aspect or just a difference in furniture/attachments?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
The main differences with the 6920 variant models are just the furniture, the main carbine, the barrel assembly, upper, lower, receiver extension (buffer tube) are the same.

The basic model LE6920 have the military M4 handguards, A2 grips, Magpul MBUS2 folding rear sights, and military M4 buttstocks, the Magpul versions have the Magpul MOE handguards & forward vertical grips, MOE grip, same MBUS2 rear sights, and MOE buttstocks.

The SOCOM model have now the Troy (but Colt Defense marked) rails, Matech USGI folding rear sights, ambidextrous selector, A2 grips, H2 (heavier) buffers and standard M4 buttstocks. The SOCOM models have different roll markings on the lower receivers, they're marked M4A1 Carbine.

I currently have two 6920 a 2011 and 2012 configurations, two 6721 HBAR (heavy barrel under the handguards) carbines and a Match Target lower receiver with USGI M16A2 Colt 20" rifle upper half.

I've been a long time Colt carbine owner for 28 years now and used to have two pre ban lightweight barrels carbines, also been a Colt rifle owner for 42 years (four rifles SP1, SPII, A2 Sporter HBAR, & Sporter Target), all of my former and current Colt AR had been and are very reliable, no problems at all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The only other difference I can think of between the standard LE6920 and the LE6920SOCOM, is the barrel profile. The standard 6920 has the normal government (smaller diameter) profile under the handguards while the SOCOM is not a heavy barrel, but not milled down as much under the handguards as the government profile. Everything forward of the Front Sight Base is the same though. Same diameter, both have the M203 cutout, etc.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Thanks for that great breakdown! Do you consider the SOCOM's heavier buffer to be a significant gain?
I also have H2 and H3 carbine buffers that I had tried on my standard LE6920 carbine, the H2 I don't notice any difference with the H buffer but the H3 lessens the felt recoil a little.

All buffers from standard carbine up to H3 works fine with military M193 and M855 ammo with the 6920, but when I use lower power loads or commercial .223 ammo I use the lighter standard carbine or H buffers.

You have to experiment with your own ammo loads to see which buffer works best and to your own personal preference.

I would also like to add that the SOCOM model have a medium-heavy profile barrel under the handguards around 0.840" outer diameter, while the other 6920 models have the government profile barrel about 0.625" to 0.670".

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the visual aid. Does that make the SOCOM more durable or just different?
Hemi, I'm not claiming to be an expert, but one thing I have heard many times, is that fact that during sustained full auto firing, the more consistent mid-heavy weight contour of the SOCOM barrel, provides more durability and a lower failure rate. The tapered portion right behind the handguard cap on the government profile, is apparently a common failure point during the excessive heat and pressure generated during full auto operation. Allegedly, this is the reason why the SOCOM profile was selected for the M4A1 with Full-Auto select fire.

All this being said, I personally don't see any problem with the standard Government profile in a semi-auto, even if run hard at say, a carbine course.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Thanks for the visual aid. Does that make the SOCOM more durable or just different?
Hemi, you're over thinking this.As a recreational semi AR user, any of the current lineupWill work fine. Buffers, heavy barrel subtypes vs. skinny barrels,not important in recreational semi non-shorty rifles.Go see a few, and buy the one that feels best , looks coolest, and makes you smile to just look at it.That's the right one for you!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks folks. While it may seem like over thinking it's really just a matter of trying to understand the subtleties. I have no experience with AR's and want to make an informed decision. I appreciate all the shared knowledge!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Are there any thoughts whether or not the 6940 colts are worth the extra money? Just being a curious George...
Depends, I have the 6940, in the end if you end up replacing the handguards on a 6920 with a good free float rail you will end up spending just about the same amount. The only advantage is if you start with a 6920 would be you could chose any style rail. I wanted the freefloat rail and didn't want the hassle of buying and installing one.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
The models 6920 and 6940 carbines will have new 2014 models which have ambidextrous lower receiver controls.

The new ambi 6920 model will be LE6920AE with MSRP of $1,374 but probably lower street prices of around $1,284.

The new ambi 6940 will be model LE6940AE-3G and will have a new longer monolithic handguard with no rails at the bottom and lower sides, it will be a modular system with small rail sections that the user could mount wherever desired, it also have a rail extension in front of the front sight, the listed MSRP that I saw for this new model is $1,945 with a street prices of about $1,816.

We should know more details about release dates during the coming SHOT Show in Las Vegas, NV Jan. 14 thru 17.

See the first video link on my new Colt thread for 2014 link below.

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/col...-tactical-competition-rifles-video-links.html

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The models 6920 and 6940 carbines will have new 2014 models which have ambidextrous lower receiver controls.

The new ambi 6920 model will be LE6920AE with MSRP of $1,374 but probably lower street prices of around $1,284.

The new ambi 6940 will be model LE6940AE-3G and will have a new longer monolithic handguard with no rails at the bottom and lower sides, it will be a modular system with small rail sections that the user could mount wherever desired, it also have a rail extension in front of the front sight, the listed MSRP that I saw for this new model is $1,945 with a street prices of about $1,816.

We should know more details about release dates during the coming SHOT Show in Las Vegas, NV Jan. 14 thru 17.

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/col...-tactical-competition-rifles-video-links.html
If you were buying your first AR (6920) would you choose one over the other (13/14) or just purchase based on availability and price?

·
Registered
33 Posts

All ALL 2014 6920s going to have ambidextrous controls and be an extra $300, or is it just going to be an option? I'm not trying to be insensitive to south paws, I just have no need for ambidextrous controls and really don't want to spend a few hundred extra dollars for nothing...

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
If you were buying your first AR (6920) would you choose one over the other (13/14) or just purchase based on availability and price?
If let's say I'm buying my first AR a LE6920 M4 carbine I would get it at the lowest possible price I could find now, sometimes the older 2011 version SP6920 with different marking of "Sporter M4 Carbine" are priced lower than the 2012 and 2013 configurations because the marking "Sporter" are not desirable to the majority of people.

The current lowest prices of the 2013 configuration LE6920 are about $995, most Walmart sells them for $1,097, my local gun shop sells them (they have a ton of them in stock right now) for $1,080.99, the MSRP (retail list price) is $1,155.

During the last black Friday sale after Thanksgiving day some online sellers were selling them for under $900, between that time and now the lowest I've seen are about $950.

When I first bought my first new high power rifle a Colt Sporter SP1 model R6000 20" barrel rifle way back in 1971 I only paid $200 for it, that amount of money factoring inflation would be about $1,100 in today's dollars.

It was a lot of money then, I saved money for about 3 years and I was still slightly short of money, my father paid for the paperwork fee, sales tax, a couple of extra Colt 20 rd mags, and about 100 rounds of commercial .223 ammo.

I had been buying firearms for a very long time now since the 1970s and the best time to buy in my opinion is during summer time because gun sales are slow usually that time of the year.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
All ALL 2014 6920s going to have ambidextrous controls and be an extra $300, or is it just going to be an option? I'm not trying to be insensitive to south paws, I just have no need for ambidextrous controls and really don't want to spend a few hundred extra dollars for nothing...
No, not all 2014 LE6920 will have ambi controls, it is a new additional model LE6920AE, they will still sell the standard non ambi model LE6920 carbines.

Personally I still prefer the standard model LE6920 because most of its parts are common with the select fire Colt M4 military carbines and other mil-spec brands, the new LE6920AE ambi controls are proprietary, also the lower receivers, they're not interchangeable with other mil-spec carbines.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.