Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to acquire a Colt 6940P marked lower. How difficult or costly will it be to find the appropriate upper? More fluent with market conditions that are Colt handgun related. Appreciate any feedback/insights on what I should be aware of for the piston driven Colt market. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
The Colt 6940-P is a "piston" driven, monolithic 16" upper barrel assembly carbine style rifle. I don't believe it has been commercially offered by Colt for several years, occasionally one can be found on GB. A Colt/6940-P marked lower should work fine with a standard, available, "direct impingement" 6940 upper. Cost for new Colt/6940 complete upper probably $600-700, or just purchase a new 6940 rifle between $1200-1400. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Appreciate the information and confirmation that a DI 6940 upper will work. How rare and/or expensive are the piston uppers?

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Really don't know current availability/price for a Colt AR-piston upper, seems like a very scarce-item to find. My guess is that you'll be more likely to find a complete Le6940-P/carbine than just the 6940-P/upper. Good luck with your search though, that's half the fun!

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
They are/were a great rifle offering from Colt. I still have one. As mentioned, you'll likely find the complete rifle for sale more frequently than just the upper but, there was an upper only on gun broker a few months ago, so they do appear. They only made that rifle for a few years, with less than 2000 made total I'm told.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the replies.....sounds like I will move forward with purchasing the stamped lower and begin my search for a unicorn upper!

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Sounds good; in the mean time you might pick-up a new LE-6920 upper to use with 6940 marked lower, and shoot the hell out of it! Regards, RP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts