Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a chance to get one of these pistols locally. It does not have box/papers but is in good/almost new condition. I can get it for $750. I plan to have this pistol built up sometime in the future and just shoot it in the meantime. Is this a good deal for this pistol? How do these compare to the originals? Anyone that owns one of these, how do you feel about the raised edges around the rollmarks and stampings? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, we did cover it. I am just really bad at making decisions. I can either get the repro. with the money I have saved or I can sell my Range Officer and get an original NIB. But then I would be down one 1911 and I'm not sure it is worth the cost and sacrifice. Plus, if things go south in the future and I have to resell it, I'm afraid not having the original box will make it hard to move.

·
Registered
419 Posts
if you're worried about the money, don't buy it. you admit down the road you're going to modify it, so the box won't be that big a factor. it's a good price, but not a great price. save up your bennies and wait for the real thing at the good price. then don't modify it, and it'll bring the great price when things go south.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I believe I paid $850 for my used stainless version about 4-5 years ago. Since it is a reissue, I had some work done to it. (I should have just bought that Ed Brown...)

1911 01a.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
Series 70 Colts are not easy to come by at any price. $750 is a more than fair price these days for a Colt in decent condition. Check out the gun carefully for the recoil spring tunnel on the slide being off center and how the slide sits centered on the frame (examine where the recoil spring tunnel sits in the dust cover) and with no slide overhang at the rear. These are the flaws that I've noticed in the reissues in recent years. They seem far less common after 2010. If it checks out OK I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up. You won't have a problem getting your money back out of it even without the box. It sounds like someone has already shot it and so collectability is reduced, and hey you can't shoot a box. Custom Shop boxes are not numbered and you may be able to pick one up later. The shipping sleeve gets the sticker with the serial number and model details.

Best Regards,
ADP3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts