Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9mm Colt Carbine which I have yet to shoot and am about to rectify that. I have a supply of 9mm+P+ law enforcement ammunition and am wondering whether this is safe to shoot from the Colt. The manual is silent on it. I've sent a message to Colt Customer Service but don't know how long before I receive a reply.

I would hope as Colt builds these to strong specs it should handle the hot rounds. I doubt if a catastrophic failure would occur but am concerned about accelerated wear on parts.

Any advice and guidance is much appreciated.

Reactions: MarkInTx

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
why use up the very expensive ammo @ 39 dollars a box of 50 when you can get some Win for half that price .
but if you got it and its not bothering you to use it up , have at it .
I would not be scared to use on a colt AR receiver .

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
I think I know what Colt would say. I know I've fired any and all 9 through mine with no effect. A neighboring team from my last Dept ran the Colt 9mm SMG's as swat guns and they put A LOT of +p (I know not +p+) through their's with no effect other than expected wear for many years.

I'd have at it but I'd also probably keep that stuff on the shelf and just get a case of plain old ball to plink with. With the rising cost and seeming pending shortage on those precious metals, I'd probably keep the good stuff.

As for the Colt - she'd say blast away!

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have plenty of ball ammo...believe me. I wanted to try the hot stuff. I wasn't really worried about the chamber...lots of steel surrounding it. I was more concerned about increased wear otherwise.

It wasn't $39.95 per box...I found a place that was dumping it last rear at less than half that.

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I heard back from Colt Customer Service today...they said +P and +P+ ammunition was just fine in the carbine...no problems at all.

I did take it the range today and wrung it out...had one FTE in the first twenty rounds then completely reliable after that for a hundred rounds of +P+. It was super accurate...the flip-up sights were dead on with no adjustments. The red dot sight took some adjustments to get it zeroed. Once it was zeroed...it tore a ragged hole out of the center of the target at fifteen yards. Next time I'll move the target back to twenty-five yards.

I also ran a hundred rounds through my Olympic Arms Carbine in .45ACP...also a tight ragged hole in the target. I've had this carbine for over twenty-five years...it's not up to Colt standards of fit and finish but there's no complaining about its performance.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Good info. I may need to add some of the hot stuff to the stockpile.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
9 mm +P+ and even 9 mm SMG military rounds should not harm a 9 mm carbine specially a mil-spec made Colt.

I've got some old surplus IMI 9 mm SMG US Navy SEALs ammo and some COR-BON +P+ hollow point and I tried it on my commercial spec (less robust as Colt) Rock River Arms (RRA) copy of the Colt AR6951 carbine and no problems.

I also tried these SMG ammo on my pre-ban IMI UZI model B 9 mm carbine and they're very reliable and accurate.

Mostly I just keep my high power rounds as backups, I just buy and use the lowest price that I could find of full metal jacket ammo, wherever I find them on discount like Fiocchi, etc.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
My Colt AR-15 9MM carbine digests all ammo I feed it.

There‘s Range Ammo and for me there’s also carry ammo. At the end of my range Visit I always try to shoot some carry ammo through the gun for function and accuracy. Some range ammo is good enough for carry ammo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts