Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to find a Colt 9mm Commander and have it customized to carry.

Ideas where to find one? Gunbroker is crazy on prices.

If you have one, how do you like it, any issues, searching for any and all information, thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
GunBroker "sold" prices are market prices. A price above or below those prices would be "crazy." You will have to be "crazy lucky" to find an example for substantially less.

In my personal opinion, a Colt Model O Commander is needlessly big and heavy, and of limited magazine capacity, for the little 9x19 cartridge. If one is going to go down to the 9x19 cartridge, then an appropriately small and light pistol with greater magazine capacity would seem the more logical choice. My personal choice for a 9x19 carry pistol is a Kel-Tec P11, which is about the size (but thinner) and weight loaded of a Colt Cobra, and has a cartridge capacity of 10+1.

If you still want a Commander, then get ready to pay market price now, or hope for a "crazy" (low-priced) example to appear - sometime.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input.

My personal choice for a 9x19 is a Glock 19. I have not seen or heard many good things about Kel Tec, but everyone has a different story.

I guess "crazy" is the state of mind and what I'm willing to pay and that is with everything on gunbroker and local stores as well.

The Colt is a want and not a need just like all my firearms purchases. I fired a really nice Commander in 9mm a few days ago and the weight and size made me feel like I was shooting a 22LR and not a 9mm.

The search continues.

GunBroker "sold" prices are market prices. A price above or below those prices would be "crazy." You will have to be "crazy lucky" to find an example for substantially less.

In my personal opinion, a Colt Model O Commander is needlessly big and heavy, and of limited magazine capacity, for the little 9x19 cartridge. If one is going to go down to the 9x19 cartridge, then an appropriately small and light pistol with greater magazine capacity would seem the more logical choice. My personal choice for a 9x19 carry pistol is a Kel-Tec P11, which is about the size (but thinner) and weight loaded of a Colt Cobra, and has a cartridge capacity of 10+1.

If you still want a Commander, then get ready to pay market price now, or hope for a "crazy" (low-priced) example to appear - sometime.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
I have a Colt Commander 9mm from about 1950. It has the lightened slide of the early Commanders. I really enjoy this pistol. It is reliable, handles great, and is as accurate as I need it to be. It is completely stock with the exception of Ivory stocks (yes I know the Coltwood stocks will shrink more if off the gun and don't care). I paid too much when I bought it but it looks cheap today. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Thank you, what range are you looking to stay in? There are always deals out there if you are patient and invest the time. Put a want ad up here and go fishing. Place a wtb ad on other forums like ar15.com as well. Throw the line out and see what bites. You may also want to consider one of the more common and cheaper "lesser" comander style pistols out there if your plan is to upgrade it anyway. It may fall within your range and with the replacement components may deliver just what you are looking for

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wanting to find a Colt 9mm Commander and have it customized to carry.
If one is planning on customizing, then perhaps it may help to expand the search to include the Colt Commander in 38 super (which may be even better), and getting either a Colt factory 9mm barrel or an aftermarket one. Often the swap is relatively simple - in many cases, just the barrel and a 9mm mag.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts