Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you guys have discussed this before I missed it so here we go again. :cool: I have owned a number of guns and many of them more accurate than I can hold. A Python was the first really accurate gun in a revolver and a Colt Series 70 in a semi auto I shot matches with. In the 60s Smith &Wesson came up with a semi auto in 38 wad cutter that Smith guaranteed a 2 inch group at 50 yards from a stock production gun.

Did Colt ever guarantee a stock production gun like the National Match to shoot 2 inches at 50 yards? What has been your best shooting revolver and semi auto? What is the most accurate revolver and semi made today as a stock production gun?

Jim

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I am NOT a good shot. I have owned many fine revolvers, more smiths than colt. I am a .44 special nut with seven of them that I have accumulated through the years. Years ago before I got old and shaky I benched about 4 different .44 specials the same day. I have a 6 1/2" S&W Triplelock that had factory added target sights put on by the factory 1n 1949. It out shot my other smiths and colt SAA. Dont have the target but I believe that 1909 made Triplelock was/is my most accurate gun.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not a good shot either. I do find I shoot better with an accurate gun but the best I ever did with a hand gun was C class in IPSC with a stock Colt 1911 45. Now that I am retired I am going to start working with guns and loads to get the best out of them I can. My idea of the thread was feedback from you guys on the best factory guns for accuracy. Does a Gold Cup shoot better than a stock 1911 now?

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Most accurate revolver - 1968 6" Python

Most accurate semi auto - custom 1911 pattern , done off Kimber frame, 45 ACP
Least accurate semi auto - 1980's Series 80 Colt Gov't ,45 ACP ; Beretta M9

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I'm not what anyone would call a great shot, and sometimes barely a decent shot with a handgun. I've always shot revolvers better than self-loaders for some reason. The most accurate self-loader I've ever owned was a Colt Combat Commander .45ACP I bought from a retired Admiral who had the pistol customized to his liking. Aside from the stippled grip area of the frame and a Fire Dragon type recoil system, it looked stock, but it did shoot as well as any revolver I've ever owned. It would shoot right beside several Gold Cups and a Springfield Trophy Match my shooting friends had.

As for revolvers, probably the most accurate was a first year Shooting Master .38Spl. That one would stack Winchester factory wadcutters at 50yds from a rest. An old Ruger Super Blackhawk .44Mag. shot very well for me, and a S&W M-57 .41Mag. with an 8 3/8" barrel was an exceptional shooter too. And a S&W M-17 8 3/8" .22lr from the 50's proved capable of taking any squirrel or bunny that cared to hold still long enough to line up the sights on.

Just plain good shooters have been a heavy barrel 6" Colt Official Police .38Spl. a 1929 Colt 6" Police Positive Special .38Spl. Colt New Service .45 Colt, S&W 1917 .45ACP, Colt Trooper MkIII 8'' .357Mag. several S&W M-29/629 .44 Mags. 1898 Colt Bisley SA .45 Colt, and a plethora of 1911's from a G.I. Remington Rand to full custom Colts, but I've always had an affection for the Commander length self-loaders.

There's a few that I never could get even mediocre accuracy from, a LW Commander .45 cobbled together with non-Colt parts, it's been stripped to the bare frame for a rebuild, a S&W M28 4" .357 Mag. a Ruger 10" Super Blackhawk .44 Mag. a 6" S&W M-17 .22lr. a first year Super .38, and the list goes on...

Generally any decently put together Colt 1911, even a WWII G.I. pistol will shoot better than I can hold it, and I do have an affection for the Official Police models as good shooters. I do want to give the Super .38 automatic another go, this time in a new Combat Commander adapted to a ramped barrel. There's a lot of good shooters out there, and a few you would think are good shooters, but turn out to be no better than scatterguns. Some can be made to shoot, some can't no-matter what you do, or how much money you put in them short of a frame up rebuild, (if the frame is even worth it).

The Colt Government Model is still a fine handgun and can be made to shoot with extreme accuracy.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I shoot a great deal and have had many that shot dam very accurate. Colt Python and my Freedom Arms 454 Casull are my two favorite and most accurate revolvers. As for semi auto that is a tough one to gauge since there are categories. In a target semi auto goes like this, 1: Walther GSP 22cal. 2: Les Bear Premiere 2 in 45acp 1.5" groups at 50 meters. 3: H&K P7M8 or variant 9mm. 4: Sig P210 in 9mm (Swiss Model). These are based on guns I have owned and or still own. Not to fluff my feathers but I have owned a great deal of guns over the years as some of you folks but I have gone through some serious guns. Some of you folks can relate I'm Sure. I have owned and sold many and some times I wish I had kept this and that but such as life. You never know whats coming up.

Reactions: Colt-SL

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I shoot a great deal and have had many that shot dam very accurate. Colt Python and my Freedom Arms 454 Casull are my two favorite and most accurate revolvers. As for semi auto that is a tough one to gauge since there are categories. In a target semi auto goes like this, 1: Walther GSP 22cal. 2: Les Bear Premiere 2 in 45acp 1.5" groups at 50 meters. 3: H&K P7M8 or variant 9mm. 4: Sig P210 in 9mm (Swiss Model). These are based on guns I have owned and or still own. Not to fluff my feathers but I have owned a great deal of guns over the years as some of you folks but I have gone through some serious guns. Some of you folks can relate I'm Sure. I have owned and sold many and some times I wish I had kept this and that but such as life. You never know whats coming up.
I am pretty much like what "KMKCOLT" stated above. I have owned, still own some very nice shooting revolvers, autos, and rifles that are far more accurate that I can make them be. I am, or was, a really good rifle shot. In the military I made Expert the first go around at the range. Handguns were a little different, I had to practice more with them and finally made Sharpshooter with the 1911A1. After a military training class at Ft. Gordon, I made Experts after learning to "point shoot". Today, I am not as good as I once was, but can still keep shots in a 3-4 inch circle at 20 ft. I hate to say this, but today, my best shooting handgun is my H&K VP9 pistol. It fits my hand perfectly after switching out the grip plates to fit my hand as they should. Just point and shoot!

I have always felt that most handguns were inherently accurate; it is the "operator" of that firearm that controls where the bullet goes. If sights are off, they should still group. Grouping and knowing where the group goes is the key. By me learning the Point Shooting method, I don't need sights, but I still need to practice to stay sharp. That is why I like the 1911 models in .45 acp; I don't need the small sights at all. I do feel more comfortable with a Colt firearm, they are the best fitting of most average 1911 handguns. If I had a hand fitted, honed, tight 1911 that could cost up to $3-4 K dollars, I would still shoot groups in the 3-4 inch range. I save my money and just buy the $1K Colt 1911 and shoot the same, LOL!

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
We have discussed this before but it's been so long ago that this topic was overdue.

I specifically recall, since you bring up the Python, that a discussion involved that revolver pitted against many others, S&W and Korth included.

When I'm shooting often and staying in practice, I shoot pretty well. S&W models, 586 and 686 shot nearly as well as my Pythons did. Since having two cataract surgeries, with Tecnis® Multi-focal implants, in 2010, and two capsulotomies in 2014, I have 20-15 vision and shoot better than when I was in my twenties.

My current most proficient shooter is the Colt Special Combat Government in 45 ACP with handloads.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I inherited the shakes with age. My dad shook as he got older and I understand my grandpa shook so bad my grandmother had to shave him. I am right handed but when I got around 65 years old I shake so bad with my left that I cant carry a platter of food or drink. I need to shoot both handed or brace. Still I never had a bit of trouble qualifying on my job for 35 years but I have been retired for almost eighteen years. I need a good light trigger. I still am confident that I am good enough for defensive shooting.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What size group at 25 yards would you guys call as accurate? Hand held, bench rested, what should a stock revolver or auto shoot? I guess what I am getting at is what is acceptable accuracy out of a stock gun?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
459459, to answer your question about Colt stated accuracy, I don't recall any guarantee of specific accuracy with any gun, but they may have included targets with some guns. Take a look at the Vintage Colt Advertisement thread, that may provide some answers.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Good post, Abwher, the military did teach much about practical point shooting and even how to hold the 1911 to achieve results. Here's an old training film I hope will bring someone better shooting, it did me.

https://youtu.be/Ro7N7dAmjLY
That was a really good video, thanks for posting it. I had similar training with the 1911A1, but at Ft. Gordon is where we concentrated on Point Shooting. I shoot better point shooting than using iron sights on the handgun, LOL!

Combat shooting is what we need to know, target shooting is for fun!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Never recall any Colt accuracy guarantees, but many of their handguns were shipped out with targets showing their accuracy. "Certified" so to speak; and the information of "hand rested at 15 yards".

The more accurate handguns I ever shot, standing two hand hold, at 25 yards, were a 6" Python, and close on it's heels, strange as it is, a 2 1/2 version.
Along with those, a 6 1/2 inch model 27 Smith & Wesson, and a 1974 Colt Series 70 Government model, with collet bushing.... Hand loads in all, but no modifications to the guns.

But the most accurate was a 1968 Colt National Match, consistently five of five holes touching at the bulls-eye. 185 gr. Peters Match ammo.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
My Clark Long Heavy Slide .38 WC came with a 50 yard test target shot from a Ransom rest with 9 shots in less than an inch, and 1 shot that opened the group to about 1 1/4 inch. I could never come close to that.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
When the target is small and distance gets out beyond 100 meters, this old Ruger .44 Magnum seems to shine:

Best field shot I ever made was with this gun, taking a groundhog at 110 yards.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
865 Posts
This past week I had reason to fire 10 handguns from Ransom Machine Rest at 25 yards. Only one five shot group was fired with each after each was settled in the grip adapters with 10 rounds. They were: German P38 9mm (date 1943) S&W .357 Magnum (1939), Colt 1911 .38 Super (El Cen - made in '90s), Kimber .40 S&W Pro Carry (2002), Colt SAA FSS (made in '90s) S&W .44 Spl. Hand Ejector 2nd Model (1929), Ruger .44 Mag Blackhawk (made in '50s), S&W M22 .45 Auto-Rim (made in 2006), Les Baer 1911 .45 Auto (TR Special made in '90s), and Colt NF .45 (2nd Gen). All bullets were from Missouri Bullet Company with their Hi-Tek coating.

Best group was Les Baer at 1 1/8" and next best was Ruger .44 at 1 3/8".

1 - 20 of 37 Posts