Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is one that I have not seen before. A collector friend of mine has a first year issue Colt Ace that is pretty close to perfect (with matching #'s) that has a very nice parkerized finish. Does anyone have information on any Ace's being parkerized or is this one for an official letter from Colt?

·
Premium Member
9,471 Posts
I guess anything is possible with Colt, but I doubt very much that the finish is original, unless it is actually a Service Ace. "Parkerizing" did not come into wide use until into WWII. My guess is that someone "Parkerized" this gun sometime in the last 75 years. A factory letter should settle the issue, unless it comes back "not specified."

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
A first year issue Colt Ace that is pretty close to perfect

[/ QUOTE ]

Close to perfect is the first clue of a "potential" refinish. Parkenizing was popular in the WWII era due to 1) lower retail cost 2) more durable finish 3) Colt could produce the finish quicker. I also doubt that a 1931 gun would have left the factory with a park' finish. But then, Colt has done stranger things.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I also doubt that a 1931 gun would have left the factory with a park' finish. But then, Colt has done stranger things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're friend should go for the Colt-letter.

Like Addicted says anything can happen with a Colt. But the pre-war Ace in the described condition is bringing mucho dollares at the various auctionsites and if it is - although doubtful- a factory finish it will only add to it's value.

If you're friend decides to get a Colt-letter, let us know the outcome.

Keep them smoking!

Gunsmoke

1 - 4 of 4 Posts