Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked my new 6940 after almost a year wait! I was worried that mine would come with the Magpul rear sight (which I don't care for) instead of the Matech sight (which I like) as on my 6920 SOCOM. It came with the Matech.

Here is the nice change. I also noticed that Colt now has added a latching mechansim to the front sight to address those who complained that the front sight could be bumped down accidentally. Well no more, they addressed it (I was actually fine with the old design).

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,871 Posts
I think the Matech is standard on all 6940 models.

It does make me nervous though. With the sight popped up, it sure looks like almost any bump is going to do some serious damage.
However, it isn't intended to be a primary sight, it's an emergency back up as the term BUIS indicates.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Congrats, it always feels great having a new Colt firearm.

Take a look at your box label if it does not have the "2013 Config." then your's is probably a 2012 new old stock, and you're lucky to have a US military issued Matech folding rear backup sight.

I've got a Magpul folding rear sight on one of my AR and from torture tests that others had subjected it to, it was found that the polymer sight is a bit more durable than metallic folding sights, but I don't like the looks of it because I'm used to shooting standard metal sights.

If you also have the Colt-Rogers SuperStoc check the left side of near the quick detachable sling mounting point, there should be either no letter, either A or R letter, if you don't have a R letter don't use the sling swivel because the whole bushing mount could separate from the stock body, see this thread about the Rogers stock quick detach sling mount failure.

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-long-guns/65590-attention-colt-ar-owners-equiped-roger-superstocks-i-had-failure.html

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats, it always feels great having a new Colt firearm.Take a look at your box label if it does not have the "2013 Config." then your's is probably a 2012 new old stock, and you're lucky to have a US military issued Matech folding rear backup sight.If you also have the Colt-Rogers SuperStoc check the left side of near the quick detachable sling mounting point, there should be either no letter, either A or R letter, if you don't have a R letter don't use the sling swivel because the whole bushing mount could separate from the stock body, see this thread about the Rogers stock quick detach sling mount failure.
Well, mine is an example of a 2013 transitional model. My box has a printed label that states (2013)* Configuration. The "*" must annotate that it still has the Matech rear sight but has the other 2013 items such as (1) Magpul 30 rnd mag, no cleaning kit, (3) skeleton rail covers and (2) sling studs but no sling.Also, my stock is marked "R" "B"....With Colt, not everything is 100% as you think

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
....With Colt, not everything is 100% as you think
So Colt is still doing what it had been doing for a long time, making transitional models as usual.

I'm used to Colt doing that sort of thing from my 42 years owning their rifles and 28 years their carbines, I'm not new to the brand.

I've had 6 pre ban of their rifles and carbines in the past and now currently have two 6920, two 6721 (HBAR carbines), and one Match Target rifle lower with a USGI M16A2 20" upper half on it.

My current SP6920 "Sporter M4 Carbine" marked lower carbine that I bought early in 2011 had M4 carbine buttstock and 9 round Match Target mag, then late in that same year they changed the buttstock to the Rogers SuperStoc and changed the mag with two 20 round Colt mags.

Back in the '80s and '90s lots of transitional changes on same model numbers with the pivot pin sizes, fire control pin sizes, steel sear block, upper types, etc.

On your new Matech rear backup sight, there are two issues that are known about it, the mounting bracket are prone to break because the material is not thick enough, and the second issue is when the flip up sight gets worn out it won't stay folded.

There's a solution with the mounting bracket, battlearmsdevelopment (dot) com makes a thicker material mounting bracket kit, which includes a longer mounting bolt and they designed the bolt head not to protrude much on the sides of the sight.

Let us know how it shoots, we've heard from owners that they're very accurate.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reminds me of Springfield Armory Krags. Rather than throw good parts out when they changed from the 1896 rifle to the 1898, they just used up all their old parts then switched over.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts