Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a beat up 1968 colt agent./cobra. Timing great work mechanically fine, she has just seen better days. It’s a home defense piece for the wife. I was looking at it yesterday and we were discussing her EDC. I was thinking about bobbing the hammer and shortening the ejector rod. I figured I could chop the hammer easy enough, preventing snags. What about the rod. How hard would it be to retread the end of the rod? Does anyone know what thread size, I would imagine this could be achieved with a simple vice and die.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
I'm no expert by any means...and this is only from what I've read in the past (possibly from others who heard it somewhere)...but bobbing a leaf spring Colt revolver's hammer can result in misfires if the mainspring tension isn't increased. Supposedly the Colt action requires a minimum amount of hammer momentum to reliably ignite primers and bobbing the hammer and reducing its weight lessens momentum. Factory bobbed guns are adjusted accordingly.

While a bit off subject I believe that's at least part of why the new Python has had problems with certain brands of ammunition with thick primers. Colt reduced the trigger arc and with a lighter tension spring they made for a marvelous trigger pull but once the problems became apparent they came up with a slightly higher tension mainspring.

If I'm not correct hopefully someone can correct me.

Personally...I think your Agent is fine the way it is...it's fully up to the intended purpose as-is. I wouldn't change a thing other than stocks if something else suited me better.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
If I'm not mistaken your ejector rod has the wrong tip on it. Look on eBay replacements are available.
If you replace the tip you will realize there is no reason to shorten the ejector rod, it was lengthened for a reason.
I'm not convinced bobbing the hammer is necessary either.

My advice would be to leave your Colt as is and buy the Mrs. a Ladysmith.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,608 Posts
As above, your Colt has the wrong ejector rod head on it.
That rod head is from a longer barrel model.

Jack First Gun Parts sell exact replicas of the correct rod head for a 2 inch revolver.......

https://jack-first-gun-parts.myshopify.com/collections/colt-d-frame-revolvers/products/colt-d-ejector-rod-head-2-barrel-guns

THIS IS STRICTLY MY EXPERIENCE ON HAMMER SPUR REMOVAL. YOUR RESULTS MAY BE DIFFERENT.........

I cut a fair number of Colt hammer spurs off "D" frame revolvers and had no problems with ignition.
Someone once said that the lesser mass is made up by a faster hammer drop with more energy.
In any case, the only time I had problems was when the custom did a "trigger job" and lightened the mainspring by bending it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Promotions for everyone!!! I had no idea it wasn’t original, didn’t even cross my mind. Any idea what it could be off of? The action is so strong on this gun I don’t think it will be problematic. It’s got a HEAVY trigger pull, 8lbs? So I’m not worried about safety, just snags

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
There is a short ejector head on eBay for about $9 plus shipping. I can use your ejector head for an official police I have that is missing one. Let me know, as I will buy yours for the same price if you choose.

Sometimes you can find a bobbed hammer on eBay for pretty cheap. I would keep your original hammer if for no other reason, if you would sell the gun. Since you have the short grip frame you also have a wide choice of wood and rubber stocks as well. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Colt-Ejector-Rod-Head-/333499099775

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just from personal experience...the idea of a bobbed hammer sounds good, but the chances of a "snag" are far, far less than most anticipate. After carrying an unaltered small frame snubnose S&W for many years (mostly without a holster), I never found snagging to be even a remote potential problem. I tried doing the same with a bobbed hammer revolver and found no advantage whatsoever over one with a hammer. Again, the bobbed hammer seems to be a practical recommendation that really isn't.

Sort of like T-grip adapters, there is likely more cosmetic appeal than real usefulness.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,608 Posts
Hammer snagging with the Colt's is a legitimate problem.
The Colt "D" frame hammer is sharper and more hook shaped then the S&W hammers and tends to snag in clothing easier.

There's a real reason why Colt has offered the "D" frames in double action-only and with no hammer spur, and why many revolver makers offer "hammerless" small revolvers.

Like many such things, this is a personal option for CCW users to consider.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hammer snagging with the Colt's is a legitimate problem.
The Colt "D" frame hammer is sharper and more hook shaped then the S&W hammers and tends to snag in clothing easier.

There's a real reason why Colt has offered the "D" frames in double action-only and with no hammer spur, and why many revolver makers offer "hammerless" small revolvers.

Like many such things, this is a personal option for CCW users to consider.
Does anyone make a bobbed after-market hammer for an Agent/Cobra?

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
If you didn’t know it, Colts answer to the hammer snag was a hammer shroud. Many agents had this feature either factory installed or sold has a kit to be gunsmith installed. I had one gun with this feature but for myself, it took longer to acquire the sight picture. My agents are CC weapons in either my leather jacket breast pocket ( winter) or cargo pants/shorts summer. When I draw the agent out from it’s pocket, my thumb goes over the hammer to prevent a snag. I do run a risk that if I have to draw fast under stress, I could fumble.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,608 Posts
No one makes a hammer without the spur for the Colt "D" frames.
However Jack First Gun Parts sell original and replica "D" frame hammers in several types.

To convert one of these would require just cutting off the spur.

If you wanted to go double action-only, you can grind off the single action cocking notch area, and let out the hammer double action strut to increase hammer fall distance for even more reliable ignition.

"Usually" a Colt hammer can be installed with little to no fitting to the hammer itself.
If you want to keep the DA capability, switching the DA strut from the original hammer to the new hammer often lessens any needed adjustment.

Gun Parts Corp also sell a used hammer.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want my wife to be able to pull it out of her purse and pull the trigger in a high stress situation. I’m going to lop the hammer and pick up the right ejector head. Is the elongated one good for a colt new army/navy?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Here is one of the last Detective Specials made in 1994. I believe I could bob the hammer and leave a bit more metal on it. But this was a factory job. Hope this helps, sir.
Colt-Model-Bobbed-Detective-Special-4th-Issue-D1425bb-Blue-2-Double-Action-Only-Revolver-Box-Pap.jpg

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,608 Posts
I want my wife to be able to pull it out of her purse and pull the trigger in a high stress situation. I’m going to lop the hammer and pick up the right ejector head. Is the elongated one good for a colt new army/navy?
The thread size "might" be the same, but the rod head is the wrong design for a New Army & Navy.
The only source for the correct design is Gun Parts Corp but they don't have any in stock other then one that's a replica and doesn't look like it's the correct design.

Before starting on the hammer, unless your can remove the hammer from the frame, tape the DICKENS out of the gun, leaving ONLY the actal hammer spur exposed.
This will prevent damage from slips or allowing metal filings from getting into the action.
Colt hammers are hard, so you'll need a good saw blade or a Dremel cut-off wheel.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the tip! No pun intended, well maybe. Any idea what colt this ejector rod head belongs to? What model colt had this head?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks! I have MANY girlfriends, they’re all from Niagra falls and you just don’t know them.... Anyone have any idea what model that tip belongs to?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,608 Posts
Again, Colt used the exact same rod head on any number of models.

In the 1900's to around the 1920's many/most Colt revolvers had a short rod head.
After that, they started using that long rod head on models with barrels 3 inches and over.
So, that long rod head with the groove could have been used on any Colt like the Police Positive, Police Positive Special, Official Police, Officer's Models, etc.
Colt didn't see any need to make special rod heads for most standard models when the same heads were entirely satisfactory.

Take a look at the various Colt models on Colt Fever and you'll see that same long rod head on most models with 3 inch or longer barrels.

ColtFever

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
☝Awesome info, I truly appreciate it. I’m off to colt fever for a few... if I’m not back by 10, send a good looking redhead!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts