Colt Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
jringo8769: Good eye - that gun, with that short grip - shouldn't have a shrouded barrel. I totally missed that.
Well Dad and best friend owned quite a few Colts and I personally owned both a detective special and the early agent
Carried both every day off and on for years
Looks to me barrel and crane are replaced
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
If the crane has been replaced then there should be a mismatch between the serial number on the frame and the number on the crane.

Reactions: jringo8769

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would’ve paid it, You got a good carry gun,pack it for protection.

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
Can you post a picture of the bottom of the grips? Those look a bit different from some Agent grips I have.
It looks like the ejector shroud barrel as well as the hammer shroud make the stocks look shorter.

We have the same version of the Colt AGENT as yours.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
If the crane has been replaced then there should be a mismatch between the serial number on the frame and the number on the crane.
The crane and frame serial numbers match, I believe that the grip frame is the same size as any other late model d frame, with the actual wood grips themselves being shorter. The serial number lookup on colts website dates it as 1976.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Yes...Colt standardized the grip frame length on all D-frame revolvers during the mid-'60s. It's the stocks that make a difference in appearance.

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
The last hammer shroud I saw listed on eBay went for big bucks imo. IIRC it was in the box etc.
But the shroud alone would be bid over $100.00

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have one just like it. Mine looks like the day it was taken out of the box. I assure you 450 was a fair price I gave more for mine but i wanted it. I wouldn't even consider less than 800 for mine and still wouldn't sale it for that.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Considering you will pay 399 for some plastic junk auto loader, looks like you did OK. Just remember, you never pay too much for a gun but the more you pay, the longer it takes to come out from under it. With a Colt, who cares as it is a lifetime contract.
+1. It's $450 worth of gun, regardless of the value as a collectible.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts