Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Norfdet.... Do not shoot Plus P's in an Agent, Cobra, or a Detective Special. Packers and Shooters keep trying to make magnums out of these smaller frame weapons and that is not what they were manufactured to do. If you want a heavier load then I suggest carrying a short barreled magnum. The "D" frame revolvers of Colt and the "J" framed snubbies of Smith and Wesson are made for light carry and are bored for calibers up to 38 special which is more than adequate for a "Surprise Gun". Don't try to stretch em you could very well "Crater" the gun and worst yet the shooter might be seriously injured. "Welcome to the Forum", hope this helps..... Henri

·
Registered
586 Posts
norfdet; Congratulations on finding an Agent at that price. I bought mine about a year ago for $400 (but it was new in the box with papers). Some of the collectors here may cringe, but I qualified with mine and carry it everyday on my ankle as a back up gun to my issue Glock. I put the Detective Special wood stocks on mine for more control. I don't use +P's in mine. I carry Federal 125 grain Nyclad hollow points. They were designed for light, small revolvers. The lead is soft and covered with nylon to prevent excess leading. The hollow point will open up at standard velocities. The Pachmeyers for Det. Specials will fit the Agent.

[This message has been edited by CFPython (edited 03-17-2005).]

[This message has been edited by CFPython (edited 03-17-2005).]

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,912 Posts
Well, sorry but the post-1972 Colt revolvers including the Cobra and Agent were factory rated for limited +P ammo usage.

Here's a link to a Colt "D" framed manual explaining the standards for +P usage. http://www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm

While the are rated for +P use, a wise owner limits the mount he fires simply to preserve the gun long-term.

Most owners practice with standard .38 Special ammo, and load the +P for "business".

·
Registered
48 Posts
thanks for the replies, my version of shooting +p is this; for this pistol I would shoot standard target loads most all the time, probably once a year i would run a cylinder or two of +p ammo through it when I replace it with new ammo. I planned on carrying the Speer Gold Dot 135gr +p's in it as carry ammo and shoot standard pressure stuff through it most of the time. I too plan on using this as a back-up to my issued Glock. when I really want to get crazy with +p ammo I have a Smith 649-5 .357 and a Smith 638-3 airweight bodyguard.

·
Registered
48 Posts
looks like from the manual that occasional use is ok, which is where I plan to be. once a year the old carry ammo gets switched out with the new so at best the most it would get would be 25 rounds a year.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Good rule of thumb on the D Frames; Alloy Frames-No +Ps. Steel Frames,and I will go back further than 72', limited use,50-100 rds. per year,and of course for "business"!

These guns take on a different persona when firing +Ps,so a little practice is recommended. Don't want to be like the cop who only fired 148 mild wadcutters in his M-19 S&W for "qualifications",but carried .357s. First time he fired it "in anger",with the .357s,he thought it blew up and dropped it! Bud

·
Registered
48 Posts
no problem there, i just think that 25 rounds a year of 135gr+p will or should not effect the revolver at all. i will still accompany range sessions with the 649 in 357 and the 638 in 38+p. shoot the +p through the ones that can handle it and save the wear and tear on this Colt.

·
Registered
937 Posts
norfdet,

I carried a Colt Cobra as my back-up in an ankle holster. I used the NyClad mentioned above as well.

Do you know Jerry Boone, retired from Portsmouth PD?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just purchased a Colt Agent. I think that it is a second issue becasue it has the shrouded ejector rod. Can these guns handle occasional +p? My understanding is that the Agent was an aluminum alloy Detective Special with smaller grips. Is that correct? I paid 300.00 for the gun from it's original owner and it looks to be in great shape. I think that it may have been a tad high but when you really want one and they don't make them anymore it makes it easier to justify. Any info on the Colt Agent would be appreciated. I plan on using this as a off duty weapon and a travel weapon so it will get carried and shot occasionally.

·
Registered
48 Posts
the S/N for this pistol is 79XXXM, anyone know the manufacture date? also can I put the colt pachmeyer grips on it that you usually see on the detective special's?

·
Registered
88 Posts
wellcome to the forum

its a 1977
and i dont think you payed to much, thats a very good price.
my uncle has one from the 70s that he had since new and it is a fine little gun.

as far as plus ps and the grips one of the other guys on the board will know more on that.

[This message has been edited by bad shot (edited 03-17-2005).]

·
Registered
48 Posts
No, can't say that I know him. I have some of the nycad and if I remember correctly they are +p.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Back when the dept issue was a S&W M64 4" and 158 gr LSWC +P, I carried a 1969 Agent as an unapproved BUG. Alloy revolvers weren't authorized for backup. I wore a belly band under my armpits with the pocket centered between the pecs ... where a trauma plate would go. It has SS grips, a dremeled off hammer spur and a flourescent green front sight. Since retirement, I wear it either on a belt slide, ankle holster or fanny pack, depending on the situation and season. Pachmayr Compacs make shooting the occasional +P MUCH more comfortable: but, the Secret Service grips are far better for concealment.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nitro,

can you post a pic? I have fond memories of carrying my model 64 with the same ammo. first duty weapon i was issued.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ok, here is a silly question.....the Colt Agent is a D frame, right? If I see a set of rubber grips that I like and they are advertised for a DS, will they also fit onto the Agent? I saw some at CDNN for 3.99 and wanted to order a pair but they are for the DS. I have also seen some Agent's and Cobra's with the rubber grips and was wondering if they are the same.

That being said, if they fit then what is the REAL difference between the DS, Agent and Cobra?

Educate me....

Thanks

·
Registered
794 Posts
Yes the D-frame rubber will fit the Agent.

The best way to ID the difference is to see the guns side by side with the stocks removed. Simply put, the Agent has a shorter grip-frame than the DS or the Cobra.

·
Registered
48 Posts
thanks for the input, were there different materials used between the Agent and DS or were both offered in steel, with an additional model for the Agent being made also in aluminum alloy?

·
Registered
48 Posts
CFPython, the Agent pic that you have listed, what is the gun made of? Steel or Aluminum?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts