Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the proud owner of a brand new 2021 Colt Anaconda 8-inch 44 Magnum.

I am considering purchasing a New Old-Stock (unused) Colt Anaconda 4" Magnum Barrel. This would give me flexibility down the road should I wish to change the barrel out.

Does someone have the information on if the barrel threads are compatible on a 90's Colt Anaconda 4" Magnum Barrel and the new 2021 Colt Anaconda 8-inch 44 Magnum?

I am hoping the answer is Yes, but prepared for anything. Thanks!

Also, I am hoping that the swap would be a relatively simple changeout (by a gunsmith.) Please share what you can, thanks!

Office supplies Writing implement Auto part Household hardware Electric blue

Cylinder Nickel Gas Auto part Aluminium

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
I don't know the answer to the barrel threading question but you have to be sure the front sight is the same height or you may not be able to sight it in properly. Added to that the finish is not the same and the shoulder may not match up exactly. Take a lot of measurements to make sure it will fit up OK to the frame.

It should make a fine shooter if the swap is feasible.

Reactions: sublimert70

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know the answer to the barrel threading question but you have to be sure the front sight is the same height or you may not be able to sight it in properly. Added to that the finish is not the same and the shoulder may not match up exactly. Take a lot of measurements to make sure it will fit up OK to the frame.

It should make a fine shooter if the swap is feasible.
SnidelyWhiplash, I appreciate the detailed info. Thanks for it! I agree, a 4" barrel should make it more or less concealable (maybe) and should be a hoot to shoot.

·
Premium Member
5,152 Posts
As a potential bonus, you could send the barrel only to be Mag-Na-Ported.

Reactions: Shoot Again

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
I think Colt will follow with a 4.25" like with the Python and King Cobra Target. It only makes sense for export reasons.

Reactions: BusaDave

·
Registered
356 Posts
In all honesty removing some from the bbl would make it less bbl heavy and help with the esthetics but it’s a very large revolver, I have one of the originals in .45colt with a 6 inch bbl, and it’s not a carry gun. Unless carrying to the range counts. Maybe in a chest or crossdraw holster it would be a nice 8 inch hunting revolver. I’ve shot mine in bowling pin matches along with a 625 .45. Love a big bore DA.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,430 Posts
Colt's web site only lists 1911 and SAA Custom order work, but they are doing custom Python barrel lengths.
Hopefully recent buyers will post about the process.

Otherwise a phone call, or even better a letter should get the info..........

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Colt's web site only lists 1911 and SAA Custom order work, but they are doing custom Python barrel lengths.
Hopefully recent buyers will post about the process.

Otherwise a phone call, or even better a letter should get the info..........

Pretty much booked for this year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts