Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone,

I have a problem with a Colt .44 Magnum Anaconda Double Action Revolver w/ 8" barrel. Ok , I am 47 and I have been shooting guns since I was about 10 years old using a Ruger RedHawk .44 Mag. , so I am very comfortable. Ever since my dad discovered the internet, he has been stock piling all kind of guns and ammo . He was like a kid in a candy store. Anyway, he passed away a couple of years ago and I have all of his guns. And of course , like I told him, eventually you are gonna get burned on a bad gun deal on the internet. Well luckily, he was already gone to see it but a couple of the "new in box" " never been fired" guns are messed up. But after well examination of the Anaconda it looked brand new, perfect and beautiful. Unlike dear dad, i have been shooting the Anaconda and love it.
Recently , a problem is occurring. About every 3rd time I go the range, the Anaconda will fire twice with one trigger pull. I will pull the hammer back, cocked and loaded, gently squeeze the trigger and then ... BANG BANG.
One of my friends, an ex army shooting instructor immediately said, "You're pulling the trigger a second time." Well instead of going , " I know what I'm doing, BLAH BLAH BLAH, who do you think you are, an ex army shooting instructor???" , i said ok, maybe you're right. I will pay close attention shooting session.
Well, it continues to be a scary issue. I am not pulling the trigger twice, i have had several witnesses , i'm not sure if it happens when you just pull the trigger , I always pull the hammer back and cock it when i shoot.
Has anyone every seen this? Any ideas? And don't tell me, "Yeah, I've seen it, when you pull the trigger twice"

Thank You

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you read ??? The last sentence of my message states:

And don't tell me, "Yeah, I've seen it, when you pull the trigger twice"

·
Registered
603 Posts
I can read. That is why my suggestion is not original. The trigger is being pulled twice. How else would the hand extend, the cylinder rotate, the bolt lock, the hammer retreat, and then fall forward from the mainspring tension release, and fire that second round?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
With your experience around guns plus the fact that you were very careful to note what happened I certainly believe that you are NOT pulling the trigger twice, besides the DA pull is usually so heavy (relatively speaking) that you certainly would be aware if you were pulling it twice. That means then that it could be defective. A too light mainspring perhaps, the recoil from the cartridge kicks the hammer back partway, then with your finger still on the trigger it causes the hammer to fall forward again. Maybe. You described it happening when you shoot it single action mode. Did it ever happen when you shoot it double action mode?

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Consider this. The gun is sorta 'bump firing' the second round. The recoil is suffucient to do the whole job: rotate the cylinder into battery, and allow the momentum of the hammer to follow through and fire. In effect, pulling the trigger twice without even trying. There are videoe of this exact malfunction on the 'net.
And you are correct. It should not be doing that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have someone else try shooting it and see if he can replicate the double shot.
It has been done. When it happened , it scared the crap out of them too. Also, when it happens, the second shot is extremely fast. There is no way to pull that trigger that fast. I am going to video the next time I shoot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With your experience around guns plus the fact that you were very careful to note what happened I certainly believe that you are NOT pulling the trigger twice, besides the DA pull is usually so heavy (relatively speaking) that you certainly would be aware if you were pulling it twice. That means then that it could be defective. A too light mainspring perhaps, the recoil from the cartridge kicks the hammer back partway, then with your finger still on the trigger it causes the hammer to fall forward again. Maybe. You described it happening when you shoot it single action mode. Did it ever happen when you shoot it double action mode?
not yet. but i will be trying da for a few rounds

·
Registered
100 Posts
With the trigger held in the full rearward position the bolt cannot drop (full lockup), which would have to happen to advance the cylinder. Also, the trigger reset has to happen before the bolt can drop and the hand drop enough to re-engage the ratchet. Therefore, the shooter's trigger finger is being thrust forward by the trigger return spring just enough during recoil to allow a reset, while the hammer is recoiling just enough to advance the cylinder. The shooter's finger still on the trigger is allowing a second hit, much the same as "fanning" a SAA. So, the problem has to be something with the trigger's ability to reset with very little movement. Or, the shooter is not holding the trigger in the fully rearward position throughout the firing sequence.
I tried to make my Trooper MK lll (same gun in .357) do this. With the trigger held fully back, I can pull the hammer till the cows come home and the cylinder will never advance.

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
1. Load one chamber and shoot. If the cylinder ends up on an empty chamber, the action was activated twice.
2. Is this double action or single action shooting?
3. Does the Anaconda have a short double-action reset? Such that recoil might rock the giun in the hand sufficiently that when it returns from recoil it is fired ther second time?
4. We have often heard of misfires or locked actions from "short stroking" revolvers. This may be a variation of the theme.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts