Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colt and the \"snake\" theme question...

Any story or information on reason behind Colt's adoption of the "snake" theme to naming their guns? Seems prior to the Python most gun names were military/police related - Offical Police, Police Positive, Colt Officer's Model, ect.

What inspired them to the reptilian theme - Python, Diamondback, Cobra, Anaconda, and such?

Thanks!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,679 Posts
Re: Colt and the \"snake\" theme question...

The Colt snake theme started with the Cobra in 1950.
Just why that name was chosen is unknown.

However, in 1955 Colt developed a new "Super revolver" and an internal contest was held at Colt to name it.
A Colt exec won with the name "Python", and Colt was off to the races with snake names.

·
Registered
253 Posts

I had read somewhere that the reason they were named after snakes is that Colt's revolvers are cold, sleek and deadly and can instill fear in the most fearless of men...just like a snake.

I don't recall where and also I don't recall if it was the opinion of the author or if it was factual.

As good a reason as any, I guess.

·
Registered
324 Posts

The Serpentine C in the logo sure looks like a snake.

That device has been in use since at least the turn of the 20th Century. Maybe someone just looked at it one day and thought "hmmm?"

·
Registered
794 Posts

SA99054, what an excellent observation! I never really took notice. It was there all along right under our noses. And as my father would have said: "If it was a snake, it would have bit you."

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

I always thought it was a snake, but never thought of it being in evidence so long before the reptilian model naming. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

·
Registered
324 Posts

As far as the date, I was going by the catalogs.
The serpentine C appears on the cover in 1905.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
I always thought it was a snake, but never thought of it being in evidence so long before the reptilian model naming. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly! I've noticed the snake in the emblem many times but didn't realise it had been used for so many years.

·
Registered
345 Posts

Kinda like the arrow in the FedEx logo.Nobody ever see's that arrow either till it bites them.

·
Registered
345 Posts

I betcha that went over most peoples head.Picture a truck with the FedEx logo on it.Tell us where the arrow is.This amazes some and others think I'm crazy when I mention the arrow on the FedEx truck.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

Just so you know someone is paying attention...when you first posted that, I realized that I had noticed it at some time or other, but I couldn't actually recall the placement without doing a little research. Interesting association. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
345 Posts

I'll give it a day or two and if no one says where it's at I'll let you in on it.I know there's enough FedEx trucks driveing around that surely someone will figure it out.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

Oh, I know where it is, but I wasn't going to give it away so easily on the forum. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
44 Posts

Ya made me think chevis.............
I followed a FedEx truck home from work last night when it hit me....... just like the Colt serpent!!

Regards,

·
Registered
345 Posts

Here it is,,look at the bottom of the E and part of the X...It's a nice thing to know when you're driveing around with kids or something to pass the time away,,,,"Hey did you see the arrow on that FedEx truck?"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts