Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this today at a local shop, looks like it was never used, not a mark on the bolt or magazine. Don't know if I will ever use it but thought it was unusual.

I did see where a company makes 30 round magazines for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
894 Posts
I had a conversion unit long ago by, I think, Bro-Caliber. 30 round mag, nice plastic box to hold unit. Could fire full auto using small piece to trip auto sear in my M16A2 - inserted into bolt carrier. Once I got the kinks worked out, it was a real blast to fire it full auto, usually flawlessly. Shoot all day for a few bucks, at least back when .22LR was cheap. I loved it. I'd shot US Army conversion units and they were jamamatics and only 10 round mags.

·
Registered
8,953 Posts
Conversely, I've shot the M-261 Conversion Units with Remington's 'Golden Bullets' and never had them jam at all - but then, they were never shot full-auto, either.

Yours looks a lot like mine.

If so, then make sure you keep it clean and well-lubed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have fired an AR with a conversion installed and was not impressed...later i purchased a dedicated DPMS carbine in .22 LR. Now i have a weapon that is built for the rimfire cartridge including a 1/16 twist barrel. I can shoot her pretty fast if i have a desire to waste a few boxes of ammo but by slowing down the rifle is scary accurate. Your conversion should work just fine and will certainly be tin can accurate.

·
Premium Member
9,402 Posts
I have examples of all of the common (and some not so common) conversion units. In my opinion, the absolute best conversion unit is the so-called "Air Force" unit. The chamber insert has a rifled bore, something no other conversion unit has. The bolt stays open on the last shot, something no other unit I have does. The unit is gas-operated by the direct impingement system of the M-16. (Other units are blow-back.) The white nylon magazines are the shape of 30-round magazines, but hold only 10 rounds. The only down side of these units is the limited magazine capacity (and lack of full-auto capability), but they shoot so well that I still prefer these kits to any other.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Bought this today at a local shop, looks like it was never used, not a mark on the bolt or magazine. Don't know if I will ever use it but thought it was unusual.

I did see where a company makes 30 round magazines for it.
If you find a 30 rd mag let me know. The only 30 rd mag I know of that works is Ciener 30 rd mag, but it doesn't last long. Let us know if you find another 30 mag that works in the Colt Kit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts