Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was anyone watching this auction? How many members know of this manual and it's rarity? One of our members has one of these manuals, unfortunately it's not me.

I can never beat out AGLENT. If he wants it, he gets it.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
Only $300? I had a $500 offer years ago. Of course, I think the offeror was sure I would not accept his offer, so he could grandstand a bit with his offer.

Bid more next time! (If there is a next time. This is the first Comanche manual I have ever seen for sale.)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm a bit confused as I was told (not by you JC) that the manual is pre-1963....before the AR was introduced. This is the first time I've seen this manual. Someday I will have one.

JC, sorry to see you didn't get the final bid on the .22/45 conversion unit. I was certainly looking that auction over and performing research. Why isn't that conversion called a 45/.22 when end result is converting a 45ACP over to a .22LR? It seems backwards.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I'm clueless. Can you guys educate me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Comanche manual on auction

When you see the "priceless" commercials on TV, think of this manual. The photo in this auction may be the only one you will ever see. I should have bid more but aglent most likey had a grand on it.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
I am not sure the manual has a date in it. I will have to check mine to see, but it is in the safe at my office and I am home. My three-digit AR-15 was shipped October 24, 1964 with the Comanche manual, but the serial number charts show 23 AR-15 rifles being shipped in 1963, so one could presume that Comanche manuals were printed in 1963 to go with those first rifles.

You would have to ask Colt in 1937 why the nomenclature is the way it is on the Conversion Unit. I could argue the conversion unit is to make a .22 out of a .45, thus it is a .22/.45 unit, but the reverse could also be argued.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
I have checked my Comanche manual and the ONLY date in it (no copyright) is the date on the exploded drawing, which is identified as

EXPLODED VIEW, AR-15 MODEL SP-1, CAL. .223, "COMANCHE" 5-13-64

in very tiny hand-lettering in the lower right corner of the drawing.

I would not think there would be an earlier manual and suspect the earlier guns were never sold commercially, or were shipped later when the manual was available. Unless someone has lettered one of the 1963 serial numbers (below 24) to see the date of shipment, we will not know when they were shipped.

I would have to see an earlier manual for myself to believe it. Now there were AR-15 select fire rifles in military service before 1963-1964 and they may have had manuals, but they would not be commercial guns and would not be "Sporters" so I doubt if they would have "Comanche" manuals.

·
Registered
32 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
When you see the "priceless" commercials on TV, think of this manual. The photo in this auction may be the only one you will ever see. I should have bid more but aglent most likey had a grand on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say it's FMV is exactly $307.02. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts